Used Car Purchase Process

DMC

I've decided that it's time to buy a French used car from a garage somewhere locally when I get to the house in the south next month for a short holiday.

I've tried the archives but can't find a definitive answer regarding the purchase process to fit the above scenario. I am aware that I may need a utility bill, passport and proof of no claims from my UK insurance company etc.

When I find a suitable car and go ahead with the purchase, I assume that the garage will arrange for the car to be registered to me and have the carte gris sent to me (for a fee).

1 At what point can the car be driven away from the garage assuming it can be insured almost immediately?
2 If not what is the delay caused by?
3 Does it keep the same registration plate or does it change with the owner?
4 Is it worth pre-arranging the insurance requirements before purchase even though the car details are not known?

I'm only in France for a short time on this trip and don't want any last minute hitches if I do find a car.

TIA

Doug

Based on our experiences (we have done it twice):

>>When I find a suitable car
>and go ahead with the
>purchase, I assume that the
>garage will arrange for the
>car to be registered to
>me and have the carte
>gris sent to me (for
>a fee).

Yes, the garage looks after the formalities. You pick up the new carte grise with the vehicle, you give the garage a cheque when you agree the purchase for however much the carte grise costs (varies according to prefecture and CV rating). For this the garage will also need proof of identity and address, as you correctly assume.
>
>1 At what point
>can the car be driven
>away from the garage assuming
>it can be insured almost
>immediately?

As soon as the carte grise has been obtained by the garage, you have obtained an insurance document and new plates fitted if necessary.

>2 If not what
>is the delay caused by?
The registration process.

>3 Does it keep
>the same registration plate or
>does it change with the
>owner?
If it was previously registered in your departement it may keep the same number - if from another departement the plates will change.

>4 Is it worth
>pre-arranging the insurance requirements before
>purchase even though the car
>details are not known?

The insurer will need to know the make, model, year, CV rating, and probably the VIN number. When the garage knows the immatriculation number, this can be given to the insurer's agent who can then issue an insurance document. You may well get one valid for a month first of all, then when all details are confirmed you will get a green card and windscreen badge for the rest of the year.

In practical terms, allow about three or four working days, though you may get it done in less time.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

We have bought three second hand vehicles over the past few years from french garages and the following may be of use to you:
Firstly you need to choose the vehicle and when that is done,sort out the finance side of things of how you will pay for it and leave a deposit to secure it. You then need to arrange insurance for the vehicle giving the current reg no. You will then be issued with a temporary sticker for the windscreen which you need to hand to the garage along with details of the insurers etc. To buy a vehicle incidently you need proof of identity, a utilities bill and if you have one, your carte de sjour or most definately a passport if you are not french national. If you buy from a large dealership,then they will arrange to get the new carte grise for you and include the cost inthe final bill - beware that this will cost you well over 100 even for the smallest car depending on age,make,model and engine size etc. The garage will then receive new number plates for you and fit them FOC but meanwhile you may use the vehicle on the old plates as long as the insurance is valid. Expect all this to take about a week to get the vehicle sorted,CT'd if over four years old,valeted etc and then probably another couple of weeks to get the new carte grise and numbers through. To get your insurance here you need proof of your record inthe UK in writing, the usual identity and utilities etc and your driving licence.

• 2 weeks later...
Not easy to say. For a start Renault 5's were discontinued some time ago and so the model would be fairly old and therefore may need work doing on it to get it through the CT.I would estimate probably approx no more than 2500€ max for one of the last models. You would need also to get insurance and this depends on your previous record of driving as to what premium you will be charged and which company you choose as some are dearer than others. There is the new carte grise to pay for - at least 60 - 100€ probably, if out of dept there will be new plates approx 30€ and of course the garage/seller's bill. Don' forget that the seller must provide a new CT.  At a rough guess the worst scenario probably about 5000€ tops.

Wife's Renault 5 (Super Cinq) Automatic 1990; purchase went like this:

Chose car, paid deposit, (€300 against purchase price of €2000) and were given proforma for carte grise.

Insured car using pro forma - cost after NCB €150.

Collected car a week later: serviced, 15 hours work, new CT all in purchase price (including fitting N/S mirror), and paid balance plus separate cheque for carte grise.

Received new CG one week later.

Simplicity itself!

Phil the Slate