Using UK-earned No Claims Bonus

Franglais24

I was thinking of using my NCB from an expired UK policy in France, however an insurance broker here says that I can not because it is more than 12 months since that policy expired. Another said that if the NCB was less than 18 months old it could be use. It's actually 20 months old.

Any suggestions or referrals?

Thanks,

F24.

Because of the difference in bonus systems between the two countries, and the existence of protected bonuses etc in the UK, what French insurers want is a statement from your previous insurer saying you were not responsible for any accidents in the past however many years, rather then just a bonus statement. I may be wrong, but I would have thought that any such statement that was more than a year old would be of little use.

Hi there

Don't know if this helps...

I went to AGF and I had no problems with my NCB.  I just handed the proof over, which had expired 1 year before and got insured.  The percentage was less as it works differently, but, however, I still managed to get a good price for my insurance.  They worked it out on the amount of years NCB I had.

Hi

I got 10 years NCB using a letter from my former company car manager (in English !).

I think a letter from your broker saying 10 yrs without a claim is more valuable than a certificate from your insurance company saying "entitled to max 45% bonus" or whatever.

Peter