Buying insurance for an english plated car whilst re-registering

saramck

I seem to have got bogged down in a thread with personal insults instead of answers - but thanks to Miki. Please, can anyone advise me of a specific French (or English) insurance company who will insure my 11 year old Rover for me, which I will leave permanently in France, although I live in the UK most of the time. My English insurance runs out on March 17th but I think I will need at least another three months insurance after that before I can get the necessary documentation together to obtain the carte grise. Thank you. (PS Our house in France is in 66 near Perpginan). pps I think third party fire and theft and personal liability will be OK.

Groupama insured my car on UK plates while I was getting the paperwork for French registration in place, provided you can show place of residence, UK full licence and evidence of no accidents in the last 3 years you will find the rates very competitive v the UK.

On most UK fully comp policies you can legally use your car on UK insurance in France provided that you only want 3rd party, although I would check the policy schedule small print, most of the big UK insurers will only do a max of 90 days on a Green card for full comp.

I have a UK registered RHD car in France. I insured it recently with Insurance Solutions (see ads in French News). I did not have to tell any lies regarding my address. The car is insured on a fully comp. UK policy to be driven in France but I am only allowed to use it in the UK for 28 days each year. Personally, for peace of mind, I am going to keep it taxed and MOT'd.

If you are interested, Insurance Solutions are agents for Andrew Copeland Ltd and in my case it would have been slightly cheaper if I had gone to them direct. Their number is 0208-656 2544, ask for Marisa. (And no, I am not linked to then in anyway other than as a recent customer). The cost of my new policy was slightly cheaper than my old 'standard' UK policy.

I will probably sell my car towards the end of the year so I am reluctant to register it in France and then have to reregister again in the UK. Plus also I have a private plate which I would want to keep for sentimental reasons which is bound to add extra cost, complication and hassle!

The Cost of my new policy was slightly cheaper than my old UK policy.

Hi Saramck,

If you are still looking try BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Aquitane). Talk to an English lady called Gaye Galliver (I think she is the boss) on 05.53.01.13.84. She is very helpful and our U.K.plated car was covered on the spot. The cover note arrived the next day. Since then I have directed a couple of people in the same situation and they have found the same as me and said that they were cheaper to boot... She only deals with ex-pats and she seems to know what she is doing.

Good luck,

John.