125 scooter

The Athertons

Hello

I am thinking about buying a 125cc scooter for getting around Paris (and yes, I've thought about the dangers too - crushed toes, yeah, yeah, I know!).

I just read a topic about the BSR licence on the forum and was wondering if I needed that too. I'm not at school anymore - I'm 29! - and I have a French permis B.

Will that be enough to drive a 125?

Also, what about assurance?

Thanks for your help

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]HelloI am thinking about buying a 125cc scooter for getting around Paris (and yes, I've thought about the dangers too - crushed toes, yeah, yeah, I know!). I just read a topic about the BSR licence on...[/quote]

Hi

I have just bought a 125 cc scooter from the bike centre in Monaco.

I originally intended to buy a new Honda Lead 100cc which the dealer had for sale at 1600 euros which seemed very good value.

However, the 100cc is only really good for just popping into Monaco as a solo rider. As we wanted the option of going farther afield and would often ride two-up the dealer recommended at Honda Dylan 125.

We paid 2900 euros (its a fixed price) but the dealer gave good discounts on the accessories such as top box, screen, security chain, helmets etc.

In all we paid 3275 euros with two year warranty.

As I understand it, you can ride a 125cc scooter in France with a full UK car license so long as you passed your test three or more years ago.

The main problem I had was arranging insurance.

I eventually found a english speaking (ex-pats) insurance broker who was able to offer a french policy with an english translation, so I knew exactly what was covered.

The brokers details are as follows:

Ann Hurley
S.A.R.L. BACCHUS
La Millière Chapitre
16130 ANGEAC CHAMPAGNE
web:
http://www.bacchus-insurance.com
email: [email protected]
tel: 0033 ( 0)5 45 82 42 93  fax: 0033 (0)5 45 36 27 95

I was able to insure both myself and my wife plus any unnamed rider holding a full license for more than 3 years, the idea being that any family or friends who use our appartment would also be able to use the scooter.

The cost was 280 euros including a 50% discount which they allowed. Not cheap I know, but I am sure I could have got it quite a bit cheaper if I had restricted the riders to just myself.

I havn't riden the scooter yet ( I am collecting it this weekend) but it's a simpler twist and go....so I hope I will be alright.

Happy scootering!