Parking your car and Blue Lines

titch

Can anyone tell me what do the blue lines in a car park or on the street mean?  I know they relate to permits and/or time limits but what are they please.  Have searched forums/site etc but can't find any info.  Any help gratefully received.

If there are blue lines, you need a parking disk. You set it to the time you arrive, then you get two hours...available in any tabac and most supermarkets. Prop it against the windscreen on the inside. Normally about 6" square, with revolving paper wheels. Hope this makes sense? Ask for a 'Disque de parking'; this is not perfect French, but it works...

We've recently had blue lines put all over our town centre. As Battypus says, it means parking is limited to 2 hours during the day (although around here 12-14 isn't included) We got a nice disk from the mairie which has things organised  so that you get "arrived 9.00-9.30; time limit 10.30" We're not sure who did the mayor's maths, probably the same people who paid a dustbin bill that is going to take 30 years to pay off.

I have been told that you don't actually need a disk,  if you write the time you arrived on a piece of paper and put that in the window, then it has to be accepted. But I haven't had the courage to try that yet.