selling cars privately

Danny

Has anyone had any experience of selling a car privately? We are considering selling our three year old car and downscaling. We bought it from a garage and will probably buy another this way, but are unwilling to trade in or sell through the garage. We intend to advertise locally but I would like to know how payment for such things is normally made should someone wish to buy our car. I know personal cheques carry more weight here than in the UK but is it normal to wait for a cheque to clear before handing over the vehicle? Perhaps a bank transfer is expected? It would be too large an amount for cash. Any advice would be appreciated,

Jane

[quote]Has anyone had any experience of selling a car privately? We are considering selling our three year old car and downscaling. We bought it from a garage and will probably buy another this way, but are ...[/quote]

Cheques are as good as cash in France, so normally you would not have to wait for it to clear BUT you must ask for at least two pieces of identity (one at least with photo) before accepting a cheque. Check these thoroughly. You can also ask the buyer to give you an "attestation de banque" to prove they have the funds. If the buyer is serious then this is not a problem for him/her, as a simple phone call to their bank, who can then fax it to you. I buy vehicles and other items regularly from auctions, and the above items, together with the attestation, is all that should be required.

Paul