French equivalent to MCN?

David_Janet

Does anyone know if there is a french equivalent to the UK magazine 'Motorcycle News'?

I have reluctantly, and after great deliberation, decided to sell my beloved motorcycle, but I have no idea of secondhand values in france.

I have visited MCN's website and got a feel for the UK market, but I suspect it doesn't bear much relationship to the french one.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

David

Used bikes, like cars, go for far more then the UK. Have a look on the mag shelves of you local supermarket....I don't think that there is a french equivalent of the MCN. Look up the UK price and put a €1000 on top and I don't think you should go wrong.

Hi there....when my husband decided to sell his motorbike, we went to the local moto dealer and he lookes up the Argus (second-hand)price for us. It actually proved to be better for my husband to take the bike to the UK and sell it there, perhaps there isn't much demand in France for a Kawasaki VN 800 Classic!!

Regards

Chris

Thank you for the replies.

Chris, I will try the local Honda dealer for a price guide. (Boghound, I'll see if your 'add a 1000 euro' theory works, when I've done that)

Where did hubby advertise his bike in france?

Was the Kawa english or french registered?

French bikers tend go for big traillies, don't they? - so I may have the same problem with the Pan European. (English bought, but now french registered)

I hope I don't have to go all the way back to UK - bit of a hassle from the bottom of the Tarn!

Regards

David

Hi David.....his bike was in a sort of no-man's land, permanently exported from the UK but not got round to re-registering in France!! We live in Normandy and he commutes weekly anyway, and had phoned a few dealers in the UK, one of whom offered a 'snap your hand price' as he had a buyer lined up for it already. He didn't find the French price much different to that in the UK. He was going to do a Depot Vente thing with the local dealer to sell it, to avoid any hassle - that might be worth a go for you, if not, there are always loads of bikes advertised in the local weekly paper.

Hope you get on OK. As you say, it's a bit of a hike from the Tarn!!

Regards

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Some general ramblings about motorcycles in France, if it helps. UK registered bikes are relatively easy to convert – just the headlight reflector or a complete H/L unit, if you’re unlucky. No MOT required but you need your nearest dealer to certify that it meets French requirements before applying for a conformity certificate. They’re OK and will generally ignore after-market pipes and go-faster bits. Several motorcycle glossies (see Motomag – they have a website for sales as well) but I haven’t found a weekly broadsheet like MCN. Tyres are much cheaper than the UK but servicing seems very haphazard – they’ll often stamp your book before they do the work. In general you have to be very specific about what you want them to do. I think tastes vary around the country but it’s usually Jap sports bikes and super motards – de rigeur dress being shorts, trainers and T shirts.