House Plants

I,m planning to move to France at the end of the year and am just now deciding what to leave and what to take. I'd like to take some of my favorite house plants, but it just occurred to me that there might be regulations about moving plant life.

Any advice on that would be welcome.

I asked this very question on the forum in 2002. The advice I got was bring over what ever you want and we did without any regulations. We rented first so all our furniture went into storage and we sold most of our largest plants. I did take some cuttings from a few favourite plants and moved them to France in small pots. They do take up a fair bit of room in the car though. Our removal firm actually moved houseplants to France if you were moving all you household goods over at the time of leaving your house. I have to say that many of the plants I brought out to France have not survived because of the heat. Good luck.

Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I found most of the houseplants didn't do well because every time we go out we close the shutters, thus leaving plants in the gloom.  No wonder they have huge arrays of artificial plants and flowers in all the shops!

Chrissie (81)

Guest CFrost

Hi, I emailed defra to ask about what plants could be taken to france.  They replied very quickly and listed nearly all plants that could be taken.  If memory serves, I think their website is defra.org, then the search for plants etc.  As I said, I found them very helpful, even when I asked about transporting goldfish!

kimberley