Ex MoD Vehicle Registration in France

Lenht1951

We are hoping to move to France this year and have secured a 6 month rent whilst we look for a property of our own. I will be bringing over my P38 Range Rover but will return it to the uk prior to the VEL expiring [Dec] in order to sell it to an ex colleague as I am aware about the CT and vehicles with non French fitted lpg systems.

I am considering purchasing a lhd ex mod Land Rover. The vehicle will recieve a GB plate ,[unless the company can export and register in France] and driven immediately to France. [insured of course]

I have heard of a Certificate of conformity and vat paid reciept. What are they and where would I obtain them from.

Can someone tell me, in simplistic terms, what and all documents will I require in order to register the Land Rover on French plates and how do I go about it.

Any Land Rover nuts in 85/17/79 borders.

Many thanks

[quote]We are hoping to move to France this year and have secured a 6 month rent whilst we look for a property of our own. I will be bringing over my P38 Range Rover but will return it to the uk prior to the...[/quote]

I would first check with Land Rover UK that the one you will be buying can be issued with  a European conformity certifcate. Address and phone from www.landrover.com . If it can than it will be eligable for import in to france. If not it will be difficult. by deafult all civil vehicles registered after 1/1/96 can be provided with  a europen certifcate of conformity - but I do not know if this applies to MOD variants. Before this date and the DRIRE and the vehicle importer(Land Rover France, address from www.landrover.fr) will provide details of what changes will need to be made. Once changes have been made the car will then need to be presented to the DRIRE for acceptance.

When in france you need to get the tax declaration from your local centre des impot. You will need to provide some form of purchase receipt.

The prefecture should in theory accept the European Conformity Certifcate, but some do not and in this case you can save lots of hassle by getting a French version directly from Land Rover France.

regs

Richard

[quote]I would first check with Land Rover UK that the one you will be buying can be issued with a European conformity certifcate. Address and phone from www.landrover.com . If it can than it will be elig...[/quote]

[quote] by deafult all civil vehicles registered after 1/1/96 can be provided with  a europen certifcate of conformity [/quote]

'Fraid  not. 2 of the vehicles I brought over with me were first registered (never mind simply registered) in '96 but one is actually a '95 and the other is a '93. Look for a 17 digit VIN No. if you want a european c of c.

Well my Landie was first registered in 1986, does this mean I won't be able to get a CoC and thus cannot register it over here??

My instinct tells me that you will not be able to register an ex British MOD Landie over here: could be wrong. Land rovers are expensive over here.

Richardbk; Thanks for your input.

Motorhead; Have you registered your landies in France yet and how did you go about getting the C of C ?

Bones; It will be interesting to see if you manage to register your landies.

As for my proposed purchases I presumed that as other European countries purchased Land Rovers for their military use and disposed of them through various outlets in the UK they would be eligible for C of C, or am I being to simplistic ??.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Many Thanks

European  level CofCs are for private cars. It may well be that  a Mil landy is also covered by a CofC,but it doesn't neccessarily have to be since in most EU contries they are not registered as standard civil vehicles. Really only Land Rover themselves will tell you if a Cof C can be issued for that particular vehicle.

regs

Richard

Never done a Landie but have done a Niva (better cars on the rough). This was first reg'd in '96 but because it was actually a '93 model it had no 17 digit VIN therefore could only get a partial c of c.

Look on the chassis plate. if the VIN has 17 digits then easy peasy, if not expect complications.