bringing my "hog" to France

stevemaison

I have read all the posts about registering motorcycles in France and have come to the conclusion that my hog a chop built out of several bikes and is a bit dubious even in England as its 900 cc engine is registered in a honda 250 frame (the bike frame was built around the head stock) will never be legal in France so if I rode it for less than 6 months and took it back to the UK and then brought it back could I continue to use it on uk plates.I would love to register it legally here but with no chance have I any other option (getting rid of it is not a option) 

[quote]I have read all the posts about registering motorcycles in France and have come to the conclusion that my hog a chop built out of several bikes and is a bit dubious even in England as its 900 cc engin...[/quote]

You will have to ride it on UK plates until you a) get nicked or b) chicken out.

As you have surmised, you will never register it here. If you are resident here, then there will be no point in taking it back to the UK for a few days as the registration regs are based on your residency, not that of the bike.

The Gendarmes seem more interested in 15-year-olds on scooters than middle-aged yoof (present company excepted, of course), so just do it! (The roads around here are well worth the risk!)

Or you could rebuild the frame around the headstock from a French registered bike but I'd go for something more apropriate than a 250.

You will have trouble finding insurance for a radically modified bike but, evidently, it is possible.

Anyway there's far more dodgy things going on, try doing a search for carte grise on ebay.fr