Asbestos Report Prior to Purchase

[quote]Has anyone completed a purchase recently and been asked by the Notaire to have an asbestos survey conducted. If so what did it involve and how much ?? Many Thanks[/quote]

Asbestos reports as well as termite and lead reports are required for all real estate transactions, as far as I'm aware. In our case, this was taken care of by the seller, not by us, the buyer. I would think the selling real estate agent should be the one arranging it.

R

Prior to the compromis being signed, the seller should have had an asbestos search carried out. They may also have had to have searches for lead and termites, depending on which departement they are selling in. The cost here in Manche, for asbestos is about 120 to 130 euros. If these searches are not carried out before the compromis, then there has to be a clause suspensif pertaining to this written in.

We had to have an asbestos survey done before purchase. It was done by the seller and as I understand it is a legal requirement. It was quite a detailed document, listing all the buildings, with photos, and itemising any asbestos found, giving type and condition.

We were also told that we would have to show the report to any one working on the buildings so they were aware of any poss. hazards- obviously asbestos has to be treated with care.

Hope this helps,Sarah.

Asbestos reports are required on all properties built before 1 July 1997.

Some departments ask that you do a lead report on properties built before 1948, some departments don't require it.  For instance, here in the Limousin, you need to do lead reports for houses sold in the Haute Vienne but not for those in the Creuse.

Termite reports are done in areas where there have been termites reported or in the surrounding areas.  The companies that do the lead/asbestos reports will also be able to tell you whether you need this.

Cost will depend on how many reports you need and how big the house is!!

Guest CFrost

Hi, we are in the process of purchasing and our asbestos, lead and termite report was carried out by the sellers representative.  This was all organised via the immobilier etc. We had the report result added as a clause suspensive, just in case!  But all is well as we have just received the result.  Whether different deparments have different rules I don't know. Try speaking to the immobilier or the notaire for further advice, they would know the legal stuff better than I!

Kimberley