HISTORIC COMMERCIAL VEHICLE USE IN FRANCE

Ron Avery

A friend has asked me if it is necessary to have a tachograph fitted to a historic UK registered commercial vehicle (an old London bus) he is using to go to Le Mans in the summer.  My gut feeling is it is not necessary as it is taxed as a private vehicle in the UK and apart from the low bridges, trees etc he should not have a problem, but you never know with the French do you?  This is a serious question so please only respond if you know the answer, anybody mentioning Summer Holiday with initials DS will be guillotined……personally.[:P]

Thanks

Vehicles must comply with the standards of the country in which they are registered.  My motorhome has a max weight of 4,600 kg and is classed in the UK as a Private HGV, subject to car MOT and car speed limits.  In France, as it's over 3,500kg,  it would be classed as a commercial HGV and subject to HGV regulations, speed limits, etc. Until I manage to get it registered in France, its classed as a UK vehicle, complies with UK regs and therefore drivable as it is.

Hope this helps.

I drive a French registered HGV racing car transporter for my own private use and can confirm that as long as you are rolling not for profit or reward the law is the same as the UK ie you dont need to have a disc in the tacho.

I should add that not all Gendarmes / police are not aware of this and I have had to educate them on several occasions ( very diplomaticly).