License Probatoire

PossumGirl

I moved to France from California, which does not have a drivers license treaty with France (only a few states do, unfortunately).  This means I've had to pass the Code de la Route and will be taking the practical driving test next week.

I didn't really mind any of it, other than the fact that I hate spending money to "learn to drive" when I've been driving for 36 years!  Still, I can't get a straight answer on one important question: will I have to drive with the scarlet A and a permis probatoire for the next three years?

The auto ecole thinks that yes, I will.  However, an online service I used to study for the Code, cited a paragraph which seems to indicate that because I had a foreign license for over three years, I won't have the probatoire period.

I have searched and searched online to find the exact citation in the code, so that I can use it at the Prefecture if necessary.  So far, haven't been able to find the "official" wording.  Has anyone here had any experience with this, or have all of you just exchanged licenses from other EU countries?

By the way, although my California license is valid to drive with here for a year (and I could probably get away with using it longer), I really do need to  get a French license.

Thanks,

R

[quote user="Rdkr"]When a friend of mine moved here from NYC he went to London and done a 2 week intensive course and go a U.K. licence. He said it was far cheaper and easier than having a test in France.

SOrry I do not know the answer to your question.[/quote]

I didn't realize that such things existed. Still, other than the probabtionary period, getting the license itself hasn't been that onerous.  My only cost has been paying for 5 driving lessons so I can get the use of a dual-pedal car for the exam and learn what they want in the exam itself.

R

The permis probatoire is issued to all new licence holders who passed their test after 1 March 2004, as well as to previous drivers who lost their licence because of driving offences.  It lasts for 3 years and comes with only 6 points "credit" instead of the normal 12 points.  It is clearly an encouragement to new (young?) drivers to drive carefully at the start of their driving career in order to avoid the loss of points/licence. It is similar to the UK where newly qualified drivers can lose their licence after only accumulating 6 points instead of the normal 12 points. You have to display the "A" sticker and abide by lower speed limits. The permis probatoire is not valid for use outside France.

The probationary period is reduced to 2 years for those drivers who undertake the accompanied driving learning route - ie being accompanied by an experienced driver (over 28 years old and held a licence for more than 3 years) for not less than 3,000 kms during a period of one year . Driving lessons qualify as accompanied driving and schools encourage you to complete the distance with them.  They will issue a certificate once you've clocked up the mileage. You have to display a special sticker on the rear window and you also need to have a special endorsement on your insurance for the accompanying driver (these will be checked during any police roadside check).  The accompanying driver can be subject to breathalyser testing and drug testing (as if he was actually driving the car).

I can't find anything which gives an exemption for existing qualified drivers as in your case.  It looks like you'll be on the "A" team for a while :(

Actually, in doing further research, I have found several sections of the code which indicate that if  you have a license from another country and have had that for longer than three years,  you are NOT considered an apprentice driver.  Therefore, I should not be subject to any probationary period.

I've downloaded and printed out all the applicable text, directly from the website of Securite Routiere and Legisfrance.  Tomorrow, after I take the exam, I'll present the pages to the examiner.  If I have a problem with him, we'll probably wind up tracking down the various higher-ups, probably calling someone in Paris.  I'm convinced I'll prevail.  I must admit that the instructor at the Auto-Ecole was impressed and also thinks that everything I've found proves my point of view.

It seems to me that the intent of the law is in my favor, it's just not written in a clear fashion, as is often the case with legislation anywhere in the world.

We shall see.

R

No idea about the license issue, but other professionals

have told me before that the thing about the regulations is that there are so

many of them covering often the same thing.  Thus which apply (most) and how they should be interpreted is

often down to the individual you are dealing with. 

Remember to discuss in such a way that the person you are

dealing with is proved “right” – even though he may need to “change his mind”

to be “right”.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

Remember to discuss in such a way that the person you are

dealing with is proved “right” – even though he may need to “change his mind”

to be “right”.

Ian[/quote]

No problem there. We always get along great with the administration here and have had good success with everything we've tackled.  We even got along well with the guy from the DRIRE that so many folks here seem to have had issues with.  Being "political refugees" from Bush Co. hasn't hurt us, nor has the fact that we're considered re-patriated French citizens.  Those things tend to get everything off on a good footing.

R

I did it.  I passed my driver's exam with flying colors.  He didn't even have me go through the whole thirty minutes, only did about twenty, which was fine.

However, at the end, I did get stuck with the permis probatoire.  The law seems to be very weirdly written, and, just for the heck of it, we're going to write to the ministry in charge of this whole thing, but it looks like I'm just going to have to live with it.

I would recommend for anyone from the States who is planning on relocating here, that they do whatever it takes to get a license from a state that DOES exchange with France.  It will be so much easier.  I am very, very annoyed with California right now.

R

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Well done, PG!!!!!  I'll have a pint of Creme de Methe to celebrate.

Never mind about the licence.  If you wash the car everywhere except the "A" sticker, it'll soon fade.........

[/quote]

Thanks, SD.  I'm planning on getting one of the magnetic ones.  No way I'm sticking ANYTHING even semi-permanent on my car.  I'm one of those who never puts bumper stickers or the like on it.

PG

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Quick correction - its the accompanied driving bit that is not valid outside France.  The PP is OK.  Got mixed up in the cut & paste.  Sorry

[/quote]

Well, because this wasn't an "exchange," I still have my valid California license, which I think will still be a very useful item to have!

PG