camper from germany

Joric

I have recently bought an old,low mileage camper from Germany and was wondering how to go about getting the certificate of conformity that the DRIRE require.It is a 1988 Burstner A 620 and do I contact them, or Fiat in France as it is based as most are on a Fiat Ducato.I have seem the same van for sale here in France on internet sites, so I would think this model  must have been available in France.

I have got the temporary carte grise paper that the Prefecture give you when you apply but have had the paperwork returned by the Drire asking for the conformity etc.Am I allowed to use the van while all this is being sorted out on its German export plates,it is insured in France on the German number or must i get the full carte grise b4 using it on the road.

Any info and help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you in advance

Richard (joric)

A friend of mine had a 1987 Ducato with three axles and a large Frankia body, it took him a year to get it registered in France, with several trips to DRIRE and the CT test station for commercial vehicles before he got a Certificate of Cconformity and a CT.  Fiat will not issue a Cof C because the body is not theirs neither would Frankia as they had gone out of business,  but they would not have done so anyway as the chassis was not theirs, so you have to go to DRIRE, who do these things.

Beware, just because you have seen similar vans for sale in France or on eBay ,fr does mean that they are sold in France, he got his from Germany and wished he hadn't.  His next one will be bought in France and already have a Carte Grise I can tell you[:'(]

I have a 1993 Hymer (originally German registered and imported by me into the UK a few years ago) which I am currently trying to get registered here in Deux Sevres.  Importing any foreign camper is certainly not easy.  The legal requirements appear to be quite straightforward but they do take a lot of internet searching to find.  Even the DRIRE have given me incorrect information - I told them that my van was 4.6 tonnes, yet they gave me an information sheet for a <3.5 tonne vehicle.  

Basically, you need to obtain three certificates/attestations:

1.  An attestation from the base vehicle manufacturer certifying that the chassis is of a type "receptionnee en France" ie type approved for France.  I wrote to Mercedes Benz France and they sent me a "partielle" type approval attestation which confirmed that the vehicle chassis was approved but only "as it left their factory".  The attestation stated that the autocaravan conversion was not their responsibility.

2.  A certificate de carrosserie provided by the motorhome constructor containing weights, dimensions etc.

3.  A certificate of conformity provided by the motorhome constructor confirming that the internal gas and electrical installations, the door and window dimensions (for emergency evacuation) comply with the French standard NF S 56-200.  As an alternative, you can submit your vehicle to your local Veritas organisation for an independant inspection (its expensive, though!)

You then need to arrange an "initial visit" to a HGV testing station (formally operated by the DRIRE but now outsourced to DEKRA).

In theory (!!!) you should then be able to proceed directly to the prefecture to register the vehicle.  In practice, ask the DRIRE to check your dossier and submit it on your behalf.  You'll then receive a letter from the Prefecture saying your carte gris is ready for collection.

If you are unable to obtain (1) and/or (2), then you will need to present your vehicle to the DRIRE for a "reception de titre isole" ie a single vehicle approval test.  They will inspect it to ensure that everything complies with French construction and use regulations.  This extensive test costs 86 euros and includes checking such things as E-markings on various components such as lenses, windscreens, seat belts, etc.

Well, if you're still with me, that's the story so far.  I'm still waiting for Hymer to get their finger out and send me their stuff.  Its been over 12 weeks now and I've had to send e-mails to their head office in Germany complaining about the delay.

No doubt there will be some other step to go through on the way and I'll post details here if and when it occurs.

Best of luck with Frankia - their contact details can be found on http://www.frankia.com.fr/

Please feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hello Dave

We are buying a Hymer campervan from a UK couple. The vehicle was imported to the UK from Germany, so now we need to get the carte grise sorted. I see you posted your last message in October, so I would be very interested to know how things went since then ! Many thanks Rebecca

Hello Rebecca

We are getting there....at last.  The delay by Hymer was not their fault entirely.  They had sent out the paperwork within a few days, but to the campsite address we were using at the time!  We managed to trace the envelope and everything was there.

As far as the rest is concerened, here's an updated summary of the process.  Its a bit long but all the detail is there:

There are six stages in the process. Collect the documents relating to type approval. Obtain a Controle Technique certificate. Obtain a VAT paid certificate. Arrange for a visit to the DRIRE to have your vehicle checked and certified. Go to the Prefecture and get your new carte grise. Crack open a bottle of fizzy!

1. Type approval certification

Obtain an attestation de conformite partiel from the base vehicle manufacturer (Mercedes/Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen). This certifies that the chassis/motor is type approved but excluding the conversion part. The certificate contains the type approval number, model specification and a schedule of approved weights, eg unladen (PV - poids a vide), gross weight (PTAC - poids totale authorise en charge), gross weight with trailer (PTRA - poids totale roulant authorise).

Obtain an attestation de conformite partiel from Hymer France. This certifies that the construction of their cellule (conversion) is type approved. Note: Hymer Germany will just send you the technical sheets, not the certificate.

Obtain an inspection report from Bureau Veritas - this will certify that the gas and mains electricity installation as well as the doors/emergency exits and windows/ventilation are all type approved under Norme NF S 56-200. For newer vans, the converter will probably provide this certification

The above paperwork simplifies matters by providing evidence that the van/conversion is type approved for France. Without these important documents, you'd need to compile detailed and complex technical specification sheets covering all the mechanical and chassis components, axle weight distribution calculations, as well as technical drawings of the conversion, placement of cupboards, wiring, etc, then undergo a lengthy and wide ranging physical inspection by the DRIRE to check all the components. This route is best avoided.

2. Proces-verbal de Controle Technique (test certificate)

If your vehicle is certified with a PTAC of 3500kg or less, then a normal "car" test will apply. If its over 3500kg (ours is 4600kg) then you'll need to take it for a heavy goods vehicle test. This is fairly straightforward, almost the same as the car test, but includes other checks such as 2kg fire extinguisher in the cab, warning triangle, speed limitation plaques and weight plate. Note: You'll need to locate the stamped chassis number (the rivetted plate is not acceptable to identify the vehicle). If your's is a Hymer Merc S Class like ours, then its on the inside wall of the gas locker towards the bottom.

4. Proof of VAT paid.

Obtain a quittance fiscal certificate, free of charge from your local Hotel des Impots. Take along your V5C and original invoice/receipt (though they probably won't ask to see this, given the age of your van) plus a utility bill as proof of address.

5. Vehicle Registration Form

Obtain a demande de certificat d'immatriculation from your Prefecture (or download a copy) and complete it with your personal details. Some forms require the technical details of the vehicle to be completed, but the DRIRE will help you with this.

6. UK V5C registration document.

7. Weighbridge tickets

Visit somewhere like your local grain supplier (who will have a weighbridge) and ask them to weigh your van (both axles separately, then the whole van). They will issue the tickets de pese either free or for a small charge.

8. Weight plate

The plaque de tare is a small self adhesive sticker which you can buy for a couple of euros from your local motor factor. Stick the digits in the appropriate places to display your PV, PTAC, PTRA and vehicle dimensions. Stick this on the (pavement) side of the van, just above the gas locker.

9. DRIRE inspection

You will now have to arrange a visit to your local DRIRE where they will check the vehicle's identity and confirm that all is in accordance with the certification. The cost of this visit is 86,90 euros. Get all the above documentation into a file (keep copies) and send it to the DRIRE with a covering letter and cheque for 86,90 payable to "regie des recettes de DRIRE (your department)" asking for an inspection appoinment for a vehicule autocaravane importe. Its a good idea to preface your file with a brief summary sheet containing your name address and phone number together with a description of your vehicle, make and model, reg/VIN numbers, engine size, carburant, weights, etc. Impresses the inspectors and tends to make them very helpful.

10. Vehicle registration

Having OK'd your van, the DRIRE will issue a certificate to the Prefecture listing all the technical details needed to prepare your carte grise. In most cases, they'll send this to the Prefecture on your behalf. You'll then get a letter advising your carte grise is ready for collection from the Prefecture. Take along your passport and a utility bill and bingo!

Hope this makes it easier for you and your Hymer.  PM me if you need any more info. I can let you have all the addresses, phone numbers, etc.

Dave