Caravan Registration

Mikejac

When I arrive in France in May I shall be registering my UK car and, hopefully, UK caravan.  I have heard that registration of the caravan might be rather long winded.

My question is, if I get the car registered first will that then prevent me from towing the unregistered caravan by a French plated car.  On the other hand, if I wait to get the caravan registered first is there a problem registering that with a UK plated towcar?  Does anyone who has gone through this process have any advice to offer?

Mikejac

Thanks Barry.  I know registering a caravan in France is not necessarily going to be an easy task, but I'm prepared to give it a go.  My question really relates more to any difficulties I might encounter if I register the car  before the caravan or vice versa.

Mike

A slight change to the post in that forum is that UK caravans are now being sold in France and have been reviewed in "Le Caravanier" last month I think it was. Can't rmember which marks or models and they got quite a good write up. Only complaint was on size and no fixed bed (they were big yet didn't have one).

>>  You cannot tow a UK caravan with a French registered car

How do you take the caravan to DRIRE for examination? I suspect that if you make an apointmment it'll be OK. You still need insurance cover though and the agent would advise on that.

This is what I intend to do anyway!

What if the UK caravan is registered in UK to the same owner with a log book. Yes they issue them now. So correctly registered UK caravan being towed by French car registered to same person with same address. Insurance in France with UK plate on green card.

Am I lawful? Articulated lorries registered in UK tow French trailors and vice versa. I often see them with more than 1 number plate on the trailor. I doubt your average French cop knows the answer to this either.