breakdown cover

victoria

We are driving our cars over to France at the beginning of April and as they will still be under uk plates and insurance I am looking for a company who will provide breakdown cover until we get the French registration and insurance sorted out.   We would really  like to be covered for the journey from the ferry port if nothing else. I think if we use an English firm (AA, RAC) they will only recover us back to the UK - am I right?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!!

Victoria

There is a French auto club, Victoria, that seems to provide this service.  I was going to join, but for a minimal increase in our insurance coverage I just added it to that.  Definitely worth having though.  I was a member of AAA (in the States) for over 20 years, and although I didn't need them frequently, when I did, I was thrilled to have them!

PG

Be careful with the breakdown add-ons to insurance, though.   I assumed that it would provide the same service as Europ Assistance etc, but found that they won't come out if you have a puncture, and there is a limit on the distance you can be towed, so if you are too far from home you just have to be content with a garage in the vicinity.   Plus when I had a major problem with the car last year they wouldn't reimburse me for car hire but said we would have to take the train, even though I was accompanied by a husband with mobility problems, a dog, and luggage from 3 weeks' holiday.   And I had to pay a contribution towards the towing!   I will look more carefully at the small print in future........

We broke down just after Xmas - a water leak just outside Niort about 40 minutes drive from home.  We rang MAAF Assistance and they arranged for a breakdown truck.  He said he'd take us into the BMW dealer in Niort - but he wouldn't take us home unless we paid extra.  We got a free taxi ride home (220 euros on the meter!) then when the car was ready to collect, MAAF said we'd have to go back by train.  When I said it would take us best part of a day by train (no direct line), they didn't argue and coughed up for another free taxi.

All in all, it was OK, with no charge to us.  Apart from the to-ing and fro-ing, there was no real benefit in getting the car home.