Buying Land

I'm out of my depth here with a land purchase that I'm thinking of making.

It's for grazing land, 4,275sqm that two of us are thinking of buying and splitting between us.

1.  If we buy it together, do we need to pay two notaires fees?  The other buyer isn't a relation and we will do our 'own thing' on the land plus we don't need any inheritance issues in the long term.  We will have a geometre split the parcelle for the 'acte de vente' but would we need to pay the notaires fees twice over?

2.  Is there just the one tax to pay on it?  I've been told it's a mere 6€ a year (on the current ONE parcelle).

3.  Any other 'rules' I should be aware of?  ie. in NZ land has to be cleared each year to stop the risk of bush fires (which we do have here!)

Any comments gratefully accepted!!

The first (and obvious) thing to do is to ask a Notaire - even by telephone!

To the best of my knowledge, however;

If there are 2 purchasers, then only 1 set of notaires fees. However, if you (or rather the Vendor) is splitting the land. then there are 2 purchases and hence 2 sets of fees. If you plan to split the land after the purchase then I suspect that you will end up paying three times - as, if you want it legal & actual ownership to change, then you must use a Notaire.

All sales of Agricultral land must be approved by SAFER - but the Notaire will handle this.

If you change the Cadastral (does this apply to agric. land?) plan, then the Hotel des Impots will reasses the taxes payable on the land at that time. Upwards, of course....

As I said, ask a Notaire (or appoint an Agent - where is the land?)

If you are splitting the land legally and on paper then you will have to have the geo people around to measure and renumber the two peices of land. this took about two months for us and cost about 700 euros as I remember..

phil

Nick - the land is nearby ... it's a third purchase here but never done the 'agricultural' route before.

Thanks for answering that, as I thought we could buy it with one fee having split the actual land during the whole legal process.

I'm taking a risk here, in the hope that I'll be able to get a CU for it in the long term!!!

Fingers crossed!