Scenic route: Calais to Orleans

JohnnyP(50)

I haven't made the commitment yet, so another holiday is looming:)

Instead of doing the obvious straight/quick route to our camp site just south of Orleans, does anyone know a pleasant scenic route to get us there.  4 adults and one 6 yr old.  We would even consider a worthwhile stop over.

Many thanks.

Well, try and finish the last leg of your *return* journey in France travelling up the A16 from Abbeville...

Near exit 25 is Montreuil, a charming walled town still with medieval street plan.
From the level of exit 26 (near Le Touquet) up to Boulogne the views of the hills and valleys of the countryside to the east is gorgeous, and the Herquelingue viaduct just before Boulogne is spectacular!  Then when you are level with the north of Boulogne, take the first Wimereux exit (shown as 3 on old maps, but I think the new number is exit 32), and head west till you reach the coast; turn north and take the fantastic coast road D940 north to Calais. This passes Cap Gris Nez and Cap Blanc Nez, and sometimes gives you incredible views of the English coast too. 
If you want somewhere to stop for a last meal, Wimereux itself is a charming resort (I have had good meals in the brasserie-style restaurant of the Hotel du Centre). There are lots of little shops along the main thoroughfare as you drive north; just before you cross the little Wimereux river is a branch of Chocolats de Beussent, which are made in a village just north of Montreuil, and are totally, decadently delicious.

You can cut across to join the A16 again from Sangatte, which comes out just before the turn-off to the Tunnel; ferry port is a bit farther north.

Angela