car history

billyo

If you're planning to buy a used car you won't have to pay any unpaid fines as the seller is responsible of them until the day of the sell. I know I'm not answering your question, just giving you a piece of advice.

I don't think you can check previous fines anyway...

Matthew

Previous unpaid fines are not your responsibility if they weren't incurred by you.

The seller will give you a certificat de situation/non gage (French equivalent of HPI report) which will confirm there is no outstanding debt or legal claim against the vehicle.  This certificat is mandatory for re-registering the car in your name.

Just to add to Sunday Driver that it is available from the Prefecture. I did my old car in Carcassonne and all you need is the registration number and the current Carte Grise for it's number. You type both in to this little box on the wall and out pops a piece of paper rather like extra wide till roll paper with all the details of any outstanding loans (or not as the case may be). In Carcassonne there was no charge for this although the machine did look like it took coins at some stage. As for fines its basically the same as the UK in as much as anything before you buy the car is down to the previous owner (as already said).