Theory Test CD-ROM

Meg

Hi

I am considering taking my driving test over here. But before i start i want to get to grips with some of the terminology for the theory test. I have heard about CD-ROMs to help with the theory test. Can anyone recommend one??  Then at least i can start to get used to the language etc. before taking the plunge!!

Thanks

Louise

Having gone through this myself earlier this year, I would not recommend any of the available CD-Roms.  They are just not in depth enough.

It's not as if the code itself is that complicated; a lot of it is common sense.  However, in order to pass the code what you really need to learn is what they want you to answer for each slide.  There are a lot of traps in the slides, and you need to drill, drill, and drill again.

The best system I found is Permis Ecole, which is an online subscription service.  I've passed it on to others, and everyone I know who has used it has passed their code, even the ones who had failed multiple times before.  I wish I had tried it first, then I wouldn't have had to retake the test.

BTW, the day I passed, there was a woman there who was on her 12th try!

Good luck.

PG

Hi,

Thanks all for the advice!

Now i don't have any excuse to not get on with it!!! The websites are fun if not frightening at my lack of knowledge, not sure if it is general driving knowledge at fault ( did my uk theory test about 9 years ago) or my french!!! [:$]

PG, are the questions on permis ecole the ones that are actually in the test?? Which package did you go for?

Thanks again

Louise

Louise, I took the Forfait AAC; for the small difference in price, it seemed worth it to go with the one that had the most "stuff" included.

The slides are very, very close to the ones that they use on the test.  I particularly found the trick slides useful.  For me, the real benefit of this method was not so much learning the code as it was learning to "read" the slides.  In my opinion, a big part of the reason that people fail, is that they haven't learned to be observant enough about the slides and sometimes outguess themselves!

For example, you need to look at the slide and see if there's something being shown in the rearview mirror of the car you're in for the point of view of the slide.  This is just not a natural action when looking at a slide, even if you WOULD do that when  you were in a car.

It's really a question of repetition.  The week before the test, I was spending about three hours a day on the slides!

Do you have an arrangement with an Auto Ecole for the practical part of the test, Louise?  I was able to get a package of 5 hours instruction (silly, I know, but it wound up being useful) and then they took me for the practical.  You need to go for that with a car with dual controls, and the only place to get one of those is a driving school.  I thought taking lessons was stupid, but again, it's not about being a good driver, it's about driving for the Examiner!

PG

Thanks for your help PG,

No i haven't got as far as finding an auto ecole yet! I Thought that by begining to study for the theory it would help with my French before i register with a driving school.

At least now i can get the ball rolling!!

Louise

Louise, you can take the Code part of the exam independently without an Auto Ecole, then sign up with the Auto Ecole just for the driving part.  That's what I did and it saved me a lot of money.  I think the 5 hours of lessons and going for the test came to something like 180€, which is much less than the full package!

Good luck with this.  It's a bit of a hassle, but those of us who come from places which don't have license treaties with France don't have much choice.

PG