Car registration in France

maggie

We are hoping to move over to France early next year to start renovating our property.  However we will only be there for about 5 months then coming back to England for 4 months before going back again.  Do I need to register my car in France and how do I go on when I return to England?

If you are intending to be permanently resident in France, then you will need to import and register your car here.  You will then be able use the car on its French plates for a return visit to the UK for up to six months in any twelve month period.  

You will find full details of the simple import process in the FAQ at the head of this forum section.

Trust me - I do not habitually drive in a manner to cause others inconvenience. I always avoid bus lanes during the set times. However, The London Borough Of Croydon caught me on a camera a few years ago when I was seriously confused about a left hand turn - BANG  - £60 fine. It was grossly unfair, the signs were very confusing and I obstructed no-one. That's why I mentioned bus lanes.