"A" FRAME TOWING ON FRENCH MOTORWAY SYSTEM

Pun

For the purposes of towing, the kit car is classed as a trailer.

If its PTAC (maximum gross weight) does not exceed 750kg or 50% of the unladen weight of the towing car, then it can be towed on a simple A-frame.

If not, then it will need to be fitted with an independent safety braking system similar to that of a caravan. 

In either case, if its PTAC is over 500kg, and the tow car is French,  then the "trailer" will require it's own French registration number, so you'd have to apply for a transit carte grise before bringing it into France.

In view of the above, I'd recommend putting the car on a trailer....

There are no specific restrictions for towing trailers on autoroutes or routes nationales.  However, on autoroutes in fluid traffic conditions and good visibilty, vehicles travelling at less than 80kph are prohibited from using the left hand "overtaking" lane.

Hello,

I have just been pointed to this site, and this is one of my questions!

In the UK, I use an ex-RAC a-frame system which has a braking device (over-run coupling linked to a bowden cable which feeds into the towed cars window and connects to a thing clamped to the seat which presses the brake pedal) and wondered if this was legal in France.

The thing is, I dont even know if its strictly legal in the UK either! As far as I can tell, its not ILLEGAL, but no-one knows if it is actually LEGAL either, if you see what I mean. A towed car over 750kgs (all cars really) on this device seems to be classed as a braked trailer in the uk, which would hint at it being legal, but people also hint at thins only being legal for recovering a car to a place of safety rather than for transporting cars. Asking at my local polioce station in UK didnt turn up any usefull replies.

My reason for asking is that a neighbour in France is a mobile mechanic and quite fancies buying my a-frame if it is legal in France. He will be towing broken down cars using his French truck. All towed weights etc would be within spec, but we dont know whether the frame is legal to use.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

Dave

If the braking system you describe acts in a way as to automatically halt the towed vehicle/trailer in the event of it becoming accidently uncoupled, ie like a caravan emergency system, then it will satisfy the braking criteria for trailers over 750kg as set out in Article R.317-18 of the code de la route.  However, the system will need to have been homologated for use in France (article R.315-1) so unless you can obtain a certificate of conformity from the braking system manufacturer, then you'd have a problem using it in France.

General note:  It is permissable to tow a broken down vehicle a short distance (say, 10kms or so) to a garage using just a solid bar or (at a push) a chain, but ropes are forbidden.  Speed must not exceed 25kph and an appropriate speed limit disc must be displayed on the rear of the towed vehicle,  The towed vehicle must have someone in it to operate the brakes, steering, indicators, etc.