mopeds/motorbikes

mike151

hi, i have a full uk bike licence & a 250cc bike i could bring over but can't be bothered with all the expence/ hassle as i only need to get to the shops & back. i have seen mopeds here without number plates & some with, can i assume no number plates mean you dont need insurance either.

thanks for the info so far, i was thinking of getting a moped that both me & my wife could ride without all the hassle of insurance/ regeristing etc, almost like a push bike . she has only got a car licence. if we have to get insurance, can we both be on the same french policy & if it were a british reg is it easy to register & ct ?

Mike

Only new mopeds and scooters have to be registered, older second hand ones don't.  Registration has advantanges because it makes them more traceable in the event of theft.

A British moped will need to be type approved for use in France, so in practical terms, you'd be better off buying one over here.  No CT is required for two wheelers.

You can both be insured on the same policy.

dear sunday driver, you answered some questions from a girl who was buying a yamaha majesty scooter 125cc in feb this year, she doesnt say where she bought it, my friend has one of these going cheap , i presume my wife could ride this on a car licence. what is the exact script on regeristing a uk bike? ps what about headlight ? pps whilst im on i might as well ask you about my uk reg 1991 honda nsr 250, it wasn't offically imported to britain & was an import, is this do'able as well? thanks

I think that SD is on holiday, so I will jump in here. He will no doubt correct me if/when he can.

Unless your OH has a full UK bike licence, then she cannot ride a 125 here. Provisional entitlements are not transferrable.

UK bikes need to be modified (RH dip lights, KPH speedo's). Because there is no CT for a bike here, you will need to get the work done by a recognised dealer who will give you an attestation. You will then need a C-of-C from the manufacturer. SD will probably tell you that it is rarely worth it. I'd agree with him/me.

NSR250 - no chance, forget it, sell it in the UK, scrap it.. Get my drift?

!!

Sorry Nick,

You can ride a 125cc motorbike without passing your bike test, so long as you have a full driving licence and have been driving a car for several years ( I think it's two years). You may also have to be over 21....I never checked on this as it doesn't apply to me!

In fact, when I bought my first bike here from Honda, their advertising stated  that you could ride their 125cc models on a PermisB (full car licence).

Also, I have just checked my French driving licence and it is stamped as a full entitlement to drive a 125cc motorbike, not provisional entitlement.  As far as I know there is no such thing in France as a provisional licence, so perhaps that is why it is not possible to transfer this from Britain.

Hope this helps,

Aly

French driving licences differ from UK ones in that category A1 (motorcycles up to 125cc) comes as standard in France with category B.  In other words, you have full entitlement to ride 125s if you have had a French car licence for more than two years.

In the UK, you only get provisional entitlement for 125s.  Provisional entitlements are not valid outside the UK.

I suspect that if you have a UK licence without category A1, then you won't be able to ride a 125cc without changing to a French licence which does have this category.

A bit of administrative re-alignment is required here, methinks.....[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

French driving licences differ from UK ones in that category A1 (motorcycles up to 125cc) comes as standard in France with category B.  In other words, you have full entitlement to ride 125s if you have had a French car licence for more than two years.

In the UK, you only get provisional entitlement for 125s.  Provisional entitlements are not valid outside the UK.

I suspect that if you have a UK licence without category A1, then you won't be able to ride a 125cc without changing to a French licence which does have this category.

A bit of administrative re-alignment is required here, methinks.....[;-)]

[/quote]

Yer back then?

Yep, we're back!

Three days touring the Auverne volcanoes (lots of rain plus cloud on the tops), a trip down to ogle the Millau viaduct, then across to the Gironde for a couple of days soaking up the sun.  Weather forecast was lousy so we didn't take shorts and things.

We actually stopped for lunch one day at a McDonalds - not a bad bacon burger too... [:-))]