french registered vehicle

billy10

Hope this is the right forum, here goes   I will be moving to France permanently end of August 2007, I was going to get a French registered left hand drive vehicle delivered to my address in thr UK in a few months time , however all of a sudden I thought about French vehicles not having any road Tax ( would i have to tax it for 6 months use in the UK as I would be using it until I move over , and would the authorities allow me to do it ) Also does anyone know if UK insurance companies insure foreign registered vehicles?? The reason I want to do this is that I have found a supplier in the UK that will take my UK car in part ex for a new French car, he orders direct from the maker and registers it and delivers it to me in UK, its a reasonable deal , but most of all it saves such a lot of hassle in selling vehicles etc.

Anyone found in a simmilar situation ?????

I suspect, from your exlanation, that the dealer will register the lhd car in the UK so you will have a GB number plate, UK insurance and road tax. You should ensure that the dealer provides you with a "certificate of conformity" as you will need this when you re-regiater it after moving to France. Presumably the car will be supplied with lhd headlamp dipping but you would be wise to check this (and the legality of this on a UK reg. car). If they are xenon headlamps then they can probably be easily swithched between left and right hand dipping.

You cannot register a car in France without a French address. There is a cost - which depending on the car - can be fairly substantial. A car which is registered in France can be insured in France and will not need a Controle Technique until it is four years old. French insurance usually provides full cover throughout the EU. If you drive the car in the UK as a visitor, then as long as the car is road legal in France then it is legal to drive there. If you become resident in the UK then the car will need to be re-registered there.

Do you have an address in France?

If you do, then the dealer should buy the car in France, register the car to your French address, then deliver it to you in the UK.  You can then drive it in the UK on it's French registration for up to six months.  You should also insure it with a French company, as Esliers says, then you can drive it anywhere in the EU  - it's cheaper and you'll get breakdown insurance included.

If you don't have an address in France, then it doesn't work.