settling officially??

We have bought & read all the books etc etc about living permanently in France but all seem to concentrate on either retiring to France or declaring your intentions to stay and work on arrival, which seems then only to allow you 3 months. We want to travel around France for between 3 & 9 months, possibly longer, before we purchase a property and find work. Should our intentions be declared on entry or when we need to settle? Can we just be considered tourists until then with reference to taxes & health care etc?

Thanks for that Nick

Yes we are EU citizens and will also have a care of address in the UK.

We have sorted an E111 out but this is only for 3 Month's (I think) we wanted to know when is the best time to make it offical that we are staying mainly due to having to pay into the French health service apparently 8% of our previous years salaries.

The E111 is valid for more than 3 months, but subscribing to the French system is very complicated. It is not entirely based on your previous years salary. As a minimum, allow 3000E. If you want to join the French system, you must be resident here (all you have to do to become resident is to buy or rent a property). Above all, seek professional advice - if your French is up to it, visit your local CPAM office, but beware ....

• 2 weeks later...
I visited my local CPAM office with some trepidation but took with me all the necessary documents (including a letter turning me down for an E106) and I had no problems.  I have since been back with my husband with his E121 and also obtained my 'carte European'.  In all cases I have met with friendliness and helpfulness and have had no problems obtaining my Carte Vitale.

"The E111 is valid for more than 3 months, but subscribing to the French system is very complicated. It is not entirely based on your previous years salary. As a minimum, allow 3000E"

Where do you get this from Nick, I have paid nothing like this.