Small trailer question

allanb

I have an ordinary trailer bought in France, maximum laden weight not exceeding 500 kg, no carte grise, no problem.   I'm just curious about one thing on the manufacturer's information plate. 

It shows the PTC as 499 kg and the maximum payload as 415 kg, both of which are understandable.  However, on a separate section of the same plate, three weights are given, numbered 1, 2 and 3, without any further explanation, like this:

1: 499 kg

2: 600 kg

3: 75 kg

It looks as though no. 3 could be the net weight of the trailer itself (although if that's the case I don't know why the payload isn't shown as 424 kg).  But my real question is about the 600 kg: can anyone explain what that means?

By the way: yes, I have googled, but without success.

I don't know exactly, but given the value, the 3rd figure looks like it could be the rated "nose" weight.

I thought the carte gris rules applied to under 750Kg, rather than 500.  At least I hope it does, as I have a 750 trailer bought new in France and no carte gris! 

EDIT: does the 500Kg thing apply to gross or unladen vehicle weight?

Matt

Hi Matt

Yes the 3rd figure is the rated nose weight 75kg. forgot to put that in my last post [blink]

As for your 750kg I may be wrong ( It has happened before [Www]) but I think you will find that is also the rated axle weight.

your trailer will probably still only be rated at 499kg gross. [:(]

Dogwood

[quote user="dogwood"]

As for your 750kg I may be wrong ( It has happened before [Www]) but I think you will find that is also the rated axle weight.

your trailer will probably still only be rated at 499kg gross. [:(]

[/quote]

Correct!  Just looked at the plate...  PTAC 499Kg.

Otherwise mine states

1:750Kg

2:   (blank!)

3: 75Kg

Also states the max load weight is 339Kg (or something like that, difficult to see as it is worn) - ooops! I've had 800Kg in before now (20 x 40Kg bags of sand) and a lot more than that in it that I couldn't weigh!

Well, at least I don't have to bother getting it registered!

BTW, this link is really good for spelling everything out quite clearly...

http://www.code-route.com/remorque.htm

Matt

Thanks for the replies.

I presume that if the "rated axle weight" is greater than the PTC it has no practical importance.  I mean, to my non-technical mind, if the total weight doesn't exceed 500 kg the axle weight can't exceed the same amount - or am I missing something?

[quote user="allanb"]Thanks for the replies.

I presume that if the "rated axle weight" is greater than the PTC it has no practical importance.  I mean, to my non-technical mind, if the total weight doesn't exceed 500 kg the axle weight can't exceed the same amount - or am I missing something?

[/quote]

When it comes to following the word of the law then there is no obvious point in getting a 750 Kg axel rated trailer when the PTAC is only 499 - they are obviously 'down rated' to that to get around needing to register the trailer.  'Tho sadly as I now realise, I can't legally carry as much as I thought I could, it is nice to know I can without killing the trailer!  I guess it's a bit like putting in a 4x6 beam when a 2x4 would do - it is likely to last longer because it is not as stressed.

Matt