Red Lights

Megan le Fey

Hi everyone,

Could someone tell me what is the normal, and also the correct way to deal with a red light when there is "circulation alternee" (sp) at roadworks etc.  Recently I passed a light on go but half way along one of the construction machines pulled out in front of me and held me up.  When I finally got to the end the driver of one of the vehicles who had to wait beyond his white light shrieked abuse at me and declared that I had passed on red.  Hurtful because it wasn't true.  Today on the same roadworks (going & returning) I dutifully waited until the light changed, after the cars in sight had passed, and the truck behind me hooted long and persistently and then later returning I was once again at the head of the queue and after the 3 or 4 cars from the other direction passed the car behind me began hooting and then pulled out with a squealing of tyres passed me and shot off.  Is there some special dispensation which allows you to pass on red when you think all the cars from the other direction have gone?  After almost 50 years driving obediently, I am not sure that I am even physically capable of  "jumping" a red light.  Yes, I am a wrinkly but I very rarely drive at less than the speed limit and try not to be one of the dodderers[:P] who are sometimes so annoying.

There is no dispensation for passing the red light in the circumstances you mention.  Red means stop. 

There could well be side roads entering the controlled stretch of road, and impatient red light jumpers could be faced with an oncoming vehicle who has just come onto the road this way.  It could be very embarassing if the oncoming vehicle is full of tough guys in blue, wearing and badges and guns - it means a 135 euro fine, four points and a driving ban of up to three years.

Stay driving obediently....[8-|]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

There is no dispensation for passing the red light in the circumstances you mention.  Red means stop. 

[/quote]

Absolutely - what SD says is the truth, the plain truth and nothing but the truth.

However, reality says that if you can see the other light and there are no cars approaching and if you are sure there are no side roads entering the controlled area then you may as well do what most French drivers would do and go through the red light - I certainly would do and have done [:$] but it would be at your own risk of course so be sure! As for the guy with the construction machine pulling out in front of you well he's going to do that if he needs or wants to regardless of what colour the light is - he certainly can't see - and as for someone shrieking abuse at you because you were held up by the construction machine just smile sweetly or raise one finger to him preferably the middle one [6]

Just my opinion [:D]

Never mind the French, just do as you are doing and obey the lights. Don't even bother responding to abuse, unless it's to smile graciously, wind the window down, wave and call out "Merci". Revs them up beautifully[:D]

Don't be tempted to do as they do: it's been my experience of French gendarmes that they will "catch" you, especially if you have a foreign plate, but somehow "miss" seeing the Frenchman/woman who did it just before/after you[:@] I have WATCHED this happen, before anyone says it's rubbish.

After MANY years driving in France, I have to say that I have noticed recently that the average French driver is slower to set off from traffic lights when they change, whereas YEARS ago, you got hooted at if you were at the head of the queue, and didn't set off on the "G" of green[;-)]

Thank you guys for the advice,  I think I will have to go with SD's suggestion and just sit it out until the light changes as I can think of far better ways to waste[:P]135 euros and can live without the hassle of having to get a French licence to accommodate the points.  I am still using the old green British licence.[:D]

Meg I f you were to cross a red and caused an accident the damjams would jump all over you and your insurance company would not be best pleased. Even if they did pay out you would would be paying much higher premiums for a long time. SD is spot on, if the light is red then sit and wait. If some other clown comes roaring past just ignore them, they are probably late for THEIR funeral?