Changing licences

David

Please can anyone advise how long an ordinary French driving licence, to be issued shortly, for a car is presently valid for?

I ask because my British neighbour has been stopped by the gendarms for speeding, and was advised that he would have to change his UK licence for a French one.  He is prepared for this, but as he plans to return to the UK in about two years, he wonders if the new French licence will date expire, forcing him to change it again for a UK licence in the future.  He also wonders how difficult it would be to change a French licence with points deducted for a UK licence.  He is about 65 years old with an otherwise clean licence.

I advised that as far as I was aware the French licence currently being issued is valid for life both in France and the UK, provided he does not lose it for driving infringments, but I said that I would check on this forum.

Many thanks in advance.

David

Thanks very much SD.

I will let Iain, my neighbour, know.  He might even think it is a bit of a silver lining as he won't have to renew his UK licence at 70 years old!

Many thanks for your as always clear, helpful and rapid reply.

David