No Amnesty

I think it is a good thing too, and although I don't agree with Sarkozy on everything, he did great things for road safety, because he was the one who had them put in speed camaras, and the statistics speak for themselves.  The big surprise seems to be that there is not even an amnesty for parking offences, which are not considered to be criminal.  However I am not sure this is a bad thing either, because people park any old how here, sometimes when I am out with my friend who has a little baby, we have to walk round by the road because somebody has parked on the pavement and the pushchair wont go past.

I've always felt very uncomfortable with this post-elections amnesty business... too much like a privilège de roi.

I was glad when Chirac restricted it to parking infractions in 2002 and I'm even gladder Sarkozy has done away with it altogether.

I remember when my ambulance driver told me about it when I first arrived.  He said he was just not paying his parking tickets in the months before the election (2002), since he would get an amnesty.  I thought it was soooo strange, although since then I have found some things evern more odd.  Don't you just love moving to a place that you think might not so odd and finding it odd.  I am delighted that Sarkozy has NOT done the amnesty too.  Good for him.

Now if he would just get serious about people who drive and use mobiles.