Univited Guests!

For the past couple of nights we have heard this quite loud gnawing sound emulating from behind our chimney breast. Now I seem to remember earlier postings of a small rodent; the name of which escapes me. (Was it called the chi chi, or possibly the edible dormouse!)

I would like information on this occurrence and how one can rid ourselves of our non-paying guests without any undue cruelty!

Thank you! Lautrec

You could also look at http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=285&messageid=185734#bm186679

Gives details of traps we have used to catch 34 in the last two years, includes two this year so far and I know that there are more to come as I saw a couple sitting on the water heater tank in the cellar making faces at me yesterday!........John

PS They are supposed not to like strong oily smells but cannot find creosote anymore.

Don't laugh, but you could try those fabric softener cloths that you throw in the washing machine.  We read it in a magazine ages ago about a farmer who put them in his tractor to stop mice nesting, they apparently dislike the smell (maybe it makes their fur soft?).

We tried it in our house for a couple of years before we moved here permanently and didn't have a problem with mice inside.  We put them in places we thought mice might use to run along and we placed them on various bits of soft furniture that would make nice nests.

Quite how you would get them in your chimney breast is difficult to imagine but when you detest beasties running around the inside of your house you get quite innovative.

weedon