2CV car registration

ealandbob

Hi all

Your help would be much appreciated.

I have bought a French car over 25 years old to restore and then take to France when we move there permanently. My problem I think is that only having the Carte Gris and no other paperwork I will have problems registering it. Is this correct and if so is there anything I can do to put it right

I'm glad the car came with a carte grise - otherwise it's only a lump of scrap metal on wheels....

You need the following in order to register at your prefecture.

The old carte grise, cancelled and signed by the vendor and endorsed "vendu le (date)".

A certificat de cession - a three part form signed by you both, with one copy retained by the seller, one copy to you to produce at your prefecture as proof that you now own the vehicle.  The seller must send the third copy to his own prefecture (ie, where the car is currently registered to him) to notify them that he is no longer the owner. 

A certificat de situation/non-gage - shows there's no outstanding finance or judicial warrants registered against the vehicle.  The seller must supply one when selling a car, but in your case, you can obtain a printout of the certificate at your prefecture.

New CT certificate.

Passport and utility bill as proof of address.

For you, the difficulty is going to be proving you are the owner of the vehicle.  You will have to go back to the seller to get him to sign off the certificate de cession and carte grise (if he hasn't already done the latter).

Many Thanks that is so clear even I understand.

Only question is where does one obtain the certificat de cession. The car was obtained through a third party who lives next door to the seller so will be able to get this done for me.

I do have the carte gris which has been signed off so hopefully your advice will do the trick.

Many thanks again...... and maybe try driving on a Saturday

Hi again

Another question to test your font of knowledge:-

If I have a French registered camionette bought in England from an English chap would it be possible to register it (I have the carte gris) or would it be easier to register in England and then export to France?

Cheers Bob

Don't intend to hijack this thread and not sure if I have asked this before, but I am returning to France a car that I bought in Paris 17 years ago. On purchase, it was driven to the UK and parked in a garage until now.

Next week it returns to France and I want to put it back on the road before the end of the year. Have the Carte Grise and a reciept for monies paid, but that's all.

After reading all the above and knowing that I can't produce some of the above documents, does anybody have an opinion on whether the French system is flexible enough to adjust their requirements if some of the documents are missing?

Thanks

[quote user="ealandbob"]

Hi again

Another question to test your font of knowledge:-

If I have a French registered camionette bought in England from an English chap would it be possible to register it (I have the carte gris) or would it be easier to register in England and then export to France?

Cheers Bob

[/quote]

The situation is exactly the same as your first enquiry. The camionette is already registered in France, so it's just the normal process of transferring that registration into your name.  Same documentation required.

[quote user="friend of stouby"]

Don't intend to hijack this thread and not sure if I have asked this before, but I am returning to France a car that I bought in Paris 17 years ago. On purchase, it was driven to the UK and parked in a garage until now.

Next week it returns to France and I want to put it back on the road before the end of the year. Have the Carte Grise and a reciept for monies paid, but that's all.

After reading all the above and knowing that I can't produce some of the above documents, does anybody have an opinion on whether the French system is flexible enough to adjust their requirements if some of the documents are missing?

Thanks

[/quote]

If you'd correctly completed your original purchase by registering the vehicle in your name before exporting it, then the carte grise will be in your name and it is now a matter of bringing the car back to France and registering a simple change of address.

If you did not regularise the registration at the time, then the carte grise will still be in the original owner's name and wherever you come to register it, your problem will be proving that you are the rightful owner now. 

So, the only document you won't be able to produce is the all important one - the certificat de cession.

Hopefully, the original owner did things properly by notifying the Paris Police Prefecture that he'd sold the car at that time, so that should be evidence that a sale transaction took place.  You have the carte grise marked as sold and you have a receipt from the carte grise holder, so if you produce these and explain the situation to your prefecture, they may be prepared to accept this as proof of ownership in lieu of the certificat de cession.

Thanks SD, but no it was not registered before leaving Paris as the intention was to register the car in the UK. At Dover the car was declared and all duties paid (as was required at the time). The next day an MoT was carried out, but later that day a misfortune happened to it on our drive and at that point was driven into the garage and left there, we were very busy people at the time etc etc.

The seller apparently carried out his duties as we had to wait in Paris an extra day for him to do some official paperwork? and now here we are. On the positive side, as it has stood for 17 years in a dry garage, the mileage for a 29 year old car is very low !!

Thanks again

Jamie