Back to UK and changing French car for UK one.

Megan le Fey

We hope to be able to return to UK sometime in November.  We have a large dog so feel that going thru' the chunnel is the best  and quickest bet for her comfort.  Trouble is, we are not over-endowed with cash and will need to change our 7 year old French Renault Megane Break for a UK Estate of some sort.  My husband does not drive any more so I have to do it all and whilst I am comfortable changing from side to side of the road, I would not prefer to do it for long in a car intended for the "other side". (Quick "Hello" to the driver of the UK registered car who met me in Chalais couple of days ago when he was driving on the wrong side heading for that underpass thingy[:D]).

It would be ideal if we could find a dealer or whatever where we could trade in the Megane against a UK vehicle but I can only find one on the internet and they don't have much RHD stock.  Everything on Ebay is far out of our price range. Does anyone know of any dealers in the area of the tunnel who carry RHD vehicles?  Also..............................would we have to register the RHD vehicle in France before we took it to UK after which we would presumably have to change it to a UK reg.?  Then there is the matter of insurance. What happens there?  Do you think that we would be better to take the already French registered & insured Megane to UK and then to try to persuade a dealer to part exchange it against a RHD vehicle.

It is all so complicated alongside everything else that has to be done. I would really appreciate any thoughts from anyone which may help me clarify this problem in my mind.

Second hand LHD cars in UK actually seem to sell at a bit of a premium to those of us wanting one before actually getting to France and without all the hassles of dealing with car purchase in France. In UK I gave up looking for a decently priced LHD car and bought a good RHD Peugeot which will, one day, get to France. If you have the confidence I would suggest bringing your LHD car to England and then selling it privately on a forum or through Autotrader.

I've read your post again and thinking about it I might even be interested in your car instead of our Peugeot - I reckon that shows the demand in UK will be good. 

Thank you very much for your reply NR , it has changed the way I was thinking altogether.  All this time I have believed that you get almost nothing for a French car in UK but could buy a UK car in France quite a bit cheaper.  I checked out the prices for various RHD vehicles, make, model, year etc on the only French dealer's site that I have found so far and discovered that the prices to buy a RHD vehicle was very significantly cheaper  in UK.  I haven't found too many LHD Megane Estates available in UK yet to be able to check that price out but I suspect that we would be better off sticking with the Megane until we get to UK.  At least she has immatriculation  and an insurance green card thingy and,  after all,  people go both ways on holiday with "wrong side" cars all the time.[:D] 

Good luck with your plans to move to France.

I agree with NR. When we tried to buy a reasonable second hand left hooker before moving over we were surprised at the hike in the price! I remember the times that servicemen returning from Germany with LHD cars could not give them away. Long time ago and things have definately changed. It would be worth doing the change in the U.K. IMHO.

We finished up buying a new LHD in Holland.

Good luck to both of you in your moves!