Agricultural Land

Have discussed the possibility of buying some additional land from our neighbour who has suggested that we make our offer formally through his Notaire.

My Question - What is a reasonable offer ? And are their Land Price Guidelines avaliable within France ?

Thank you

Generally speaking agricultural land is much cheaper to buy than constructable land. You would need to engage the service of a géometre anyway to measure and mark out the land you wish to buy so that a contract of sale can be drawn up. I don't know if they have ideas about land values but a notaire certainly would be able to value it for you at a fixed fee and if you use the same one as your neighbour then it can be added to the final invoice for the purchase if you decide to go ahead.

You will only have to get a geometre in if you are dividing an existing parcelle. You don't say how much land is involved but a large amount would have to be referred to SAFER as another registered farmer would have a right of pre-emption.

The only info I have on cost is that last year my commune sold 4,660 sqm to a local for 932 euros but this is a seriously cheap area.

Not sure where you are in France but here in the Limousin, if the land's a bit rubbish, it's normally about 1000euros a hectare, good agricultural land is about 3-4000 euros a hectare.

Constructible land is generally priced by the sq. metre (smaller plots usually!) and price really varies on location.

the local Notaire should have a very good idea of the value of land and would be worth consulting in the first instance before making an offer. Our experience was to have made an offer for some agricultural land adjoining our property based on local advice of .5 of a euro per sq metre, and then discussing it with the local Notaire.

He took great delight in telling us that we had offered 5 times its true worth, but that clearly it was obviously worth that much to us, he also advised us that having made that offer to the owner, if we repeated it to the Notaire then it would be considered a firm commitment.

We were happy to do this but now 5 months later we still await the outcome of SAFER's deliberations.......