Procedure for Trailer Registration

Charlies Dad

Hi All

I would appreciate any advice as to the correct procedure for registering a trailer in France, and the associated costs involved.

I understand that small trailers under a certain size do not have to be registered, but the one we are bringing is quite large.

Do you have to register the trailer as soon as you arrive in France?

We will be arriving with our UK registered vehicle and of course the trailer will just have the car registration number plate on it.  If we do not re-register the car in France but keep the UK plates, can we just keep the UK plates on the trailer as well?

I'm sorry if this has all been dealt with elsewhere, but I cannot find the specific answers that I am looking for.

Many Thanks

Hi Charlies Dad,

A lot of questions mostly already covered many times over however a couple of important points to note:

First let's dispel one notion, if you are coming over to live in France and become resident keeping UK plates on your car is not an option, you have one month to reregister it, no if's, no but's, no maybe's. This has been discussed here ad nauseum and very recently too so no excuses on this one but I'll point you HERE for starters.

That being the case as soon as you do reregister you will no longer be able to tow your trailer until it is registered in it's own right.

A trailer of 500kg gross or under does not require registration and can be towed under the towing vehicles number.

Anything over 500kg must be registered and will be issued with it's own number. If it's over 750kg it needs it's own insurance too.

As for actually registering a trailer, this can be a minefield. A searchfor    register trailer   will unearth a wealth of info but in truth THIS brief thread contains all you need to know.

In a nutshell, if it is a model not sold in France or you do not have a manufacturers Certificate of Conformity for it (in French) then it may prove impossible. If you cannot get a manufacturers CoC then there MAY, just MAY, be a possibility of getting it passed by DRIRE but to take this route the very least you will need is the CoC's for the axle(s) and brakes and the hitch, again all in French. If you don't have or can't get these then forget it, any attempt at getting it registered will be futile and hopeless.

I haven't got round to doing mine yet but hope to do so in the next month or 2 following the advice given by Sunday Driver.

Good luck [:-))]

[:D]