Boat trailer and boat import ex New Zealand

De Walt

Save any serious upheaval it looks as we will be heading for Europe > France > possibly Aude region. However our immediate problem is what goes in the container apart from the kitchen sink. More specific; I have a classic model wooden sailing boat 17.5 feet Swampscott dory which I would like to bring along, but a problem could be the trailer it is sitting on. In NZ for this weight  (The boat is approximately 250-300 kg and the trailer is lightly constructed) there is no requirement for fancy braking systems. It has braking lights, indicators, rear lights and white lights on the front of the mudwings. Other than that it is really a basic boat trailer.

QUESTION: Could anyone please comment whether this trailer would need any modifications after import into France or should I just forget about the trailer and try to get one conforming to EU standards once in France. Thank you.[:)] Wouter

Our resident expert Sunday Driver will doubtless be along for chapter and verse but if the basic trailer regulations cover boat trailers too then if the gross weight of your trailer and boat is under 500kg then you can use it without restriction with the number plate of the towing vehicle.

If over 500kg it will require it's own registration and if over 750kg will need to be braked too. Registered trailers require their own insurance too but this is quite cheap, maybe under 50Eur.

If it does require registration then you will need a Certificate of Conformity (in French) from the manufacturer. I can imagine this being somewhat difficult to obtain in NZ !

Without the CoC for the trailer proper to stand any chance of getting it registered you would need separate CoC's for the axle(s), brakes (if over 750kg) and the hitch, (again all in French). With those you might stand a chance of getting it through an inspection by the DRIRE and registered via that route but there is no guarantee. You may well be required to make nodifications such as adding cycle guards for instance. There will of course, as with all such things in France, be a cost.

Look very carefully at the gross weight and if it is over 500kg and you cannot get a CoC then frankly I'd be inclined to sell it over there and get a new one here in France.

Are you coming in the boat BTW [:-))]

[:D][:D][:D]

Hi Ernie

Thank you very much for your reply. Exactly the info I was hoping to get. I have to find a weighbridge now and find out  - after only 20 years - what the actual weight is of the assemblage.

I think we will fly to get there, but having said that, I read one story of an old fellow who was plucked of his dory by the Coast guard after he decided to cross the Northern Atlantic to visit relatives in Europe. [B]

Thanks again

Wouter