The camper van is registered!

val douest

I posted a couple of months ago about reregistering procedures for a camper van belonging to friends of ours.  I am pleased to report that it has finally been registered here in Hautes Pyrenees, at the prefecture in Tarbes, with very little trouble.  The actual procedure we followed might be of some help to anyone about to do the same thing.

The vehicle was a Fiat/Hymer, left hand drive and registered in the UK but originating from Germany. They had a Certificate of Conformity, but in german. Our first step was to go to the DRIRE in Tarbes, assuming that they would issue an attestation which we could then take to the prefecture, avoiding any issue with a german CofC. However, they said we should go straight to the prefecture since we already had a CofC. So my friends then set about acquiring the other bits of paper, Controle Technique and Quittance Fiscale; armed with these and a utility bill, the UK V5c, a UK driving licence and the "demande" form for registration, it all sailed through. I believe the combination of the VIN and the e1 number was enough. The man at the desk did check that what appeared on his computer screen was consistent with the CofC, but there appeared to be no need to read german; he was just checking numbers such as gross weight, unladen weight etc. The power output, absent on the CofC, appeared automatically on his screen.

So a very relieved and delighted couple, who had expected a long drawn out and expensive process, can now have new number plates attached and drive away fully registered in France. I imagine that the ease of the process depends very much on which part of France you are in, and even the particular officer dealing with you. My friends did ask Fiat of France some while ago for a french version of the CofC; they replied asking for a copy of the UK registration document, then everything went quiet.

Many thanks both to Mike and Maria for their encouragement, and especially to Sunday Driver, whose knowledge and advice was - as ever - spot on.

Well done on getting the van registered.

I believe that a European CofC is just that, no matter what language it is written in. I had no problems with German original CofCs with our bikes which were UK supplied.

I have heard of some prefectures asking for a French version, but I believe that is wrong and they are not reading the rules.

Out of interest, how old is the camper van in question? I have a 10 year old LHD diesel motorhome which I tried to transfer onto the Spanish registry, but I was told it would not be acceptable due to its age. It is, apparently, thought to be a high pollutant, despite sailing through the UK MOT. In the event that we move to France it would be useful to be able to re-register it and avoid the need to take it to be MOT'd every year.

The camper van in question was six years old but I would have thought if you have a Certificate of Conformity, the 'e' number and the VIN plus the other bits and pieces of paperwork, you should be OK.  You would also of course have to have the Controle Technique certificate (MOT) which includes checking the exhaust fumes as part of the general testing procedure; once you have the CT I don't think the pollution question would arise.

Val

Chalky you will have to let us in on the secret of using a Spanish insurance certificate to re-tax a UK registered vehicle online or otherwise.

This is what it says on the government website.

Insurance certificates and cover notes

These are usually a printed or laser-printed document, or a plastic credit card style document.

The following documents are not acceptable:

• policy schedule, renewal notice, statement of Insurance or receipt for payment
  • amended certificate or cover note - unless stamped or initialled by the insurer
  • ‘legal protection’ policy certificates
  • foreign certificates
  • photocopies or faxes
  • insurance certificates downloaded directly from the internet by the policy holder
  • Green Card (International Motor Insurance Card)
Sorry posted on the wrong thread

The camper that Val's friends brought over was covered by an EU certificate of conformity issued under approval by the German Kraftfahrt-Bundesampt who issue exceptional EU type approval for vehicles with special technologies (ie, camper vans).  It contained an EU  e1*/--  type approval number plus a declaration that the vehicle described under that number is approved for use in other member states without further permission needed.  That was sufficient to proceed directly to their prefecture to register without having to undergo any other checks or inspections.

Older vehicles which do not have this type approval must be submitted to the DRIRE for a single vehicle approval inspection.  Part of this process requires a certificate of conformity from the base vehicle manufacturer, an attestation from the 'caravan' converter and a gas/electricity safety certificate from an independent organisation such as Bureau Veritas.  Whilst it involves more paperwork and cost, it's not difficult to get older vans registered here.  My own van is a 1992 Hymer Mercedes and it sailed though everything.

[quote user="gosub"]Chalky you will have to let us in on the secret of using a Spanish insurance certificate to re-tax a UK registered vehicle online or otherwise......

I see that you have edited your post now with no reference to the road tax.

[/quote]Gosub,

I haven't edited my post - you're referring to a posting I made on another thread.

You don't have to submit an insurance certificate when re-taxing a vehicle online (indeed it would be a bit difficult!). I believe that, in theory, the DVLA system checks whether the vehicle has valid insurance when you enter the registration details. Perhaps it does; perhaps there is an international database of insured vehicles which it interrogates. All I know is that I have been able to renew the tax for both my two spanish-insured vehicles online with no difficulty.

NB: Since I wrote the above, gosub has realised his error but I can't delete this posting!

Looking forward to the day when it is us but getting there now. All paperwork on it's way we hope !! Only one last question ( for now anyway ! ) Did I imagine it or did I read somewhere on the forum that it was necessary to get a CoC from Alko too or did I imagine it :-) For once in my life I hope it was just a senior moment and I don't have to chase another bit of paper

Many thanks in anticipation

I think you may be recalling previous threads about importing UK caravans.  As most of these are manufactured solely for the UK home market, they are not usually type approved for use elsewhere in the EU.   In order to pass the DRIRE single vehicle approval inspection for trailers, they need a technical certificate from the chassis manufacturer - which, in most cases, will be Alko.

Thanks for that :-) We don't have an A class but a coachbuilt Hobby so thought maybe we would need the Alko CoC.

Thought that was my last question but sorry isn't. We have to change the gas to French bottles . Do you know if the new lightweight bottles are acceptable or does it have to be the metal ones.

Thanks again in anticipation [:D]

Bubble,

Have you thought about replacing the gas bottles with a refillable LPG system such as Gaslow? LPG is readily available from service stations in France and you don't have to keep lugging the bottles in and out.

Yes that is what we have at the moment but not acceptable as is not French ! Have no intention of buying another system the same just because it is French ! So will replace with French gas bottle and regulator and I think you can guess what we will do after! Only need to use the French system for test each year !

Do love living here but sometimes things like this frustrate me but a small price to pay [:D]

Gaslow systems are fully acceptable in France.  I fitted one before we moved over here (planned to live in our van for a few months whilst we searched for a property) and Gaslow sent me the EU conformity certificates in case I needed them.  As it happens, the Bureau Veritas inspector just said they're fine. 

Our system is MTH so have written to him to ask the question of CoC. I think the bottles originate from Holland so fingers crossed.

Thanks to you Sunday Driver for your help. Hopefully one day I can post' Van is Registered '!