Headlights - Again...

Etoile

I know the subject of headlight conversion has been covered in depth before on this site but I am not altogether convinced that all the information on offer is based on actual experience. Sorry.

I wish to register my 2002 Citroen Synergie (Peugeot 806/Fiat Ulysse) in France but I am aware that I need to alter the dipped beam pattern. There are plenty of people advising that one has to but new headlights but I am not sure this is the case. The car has the H1 style bulbs with a circular flange that has a flat side to key into the holder. The thing is, the holder is attached to the lamp unit with just two screws. I have a feeling that a LHD specification holder would be fitted the same way but would have the flat side for the bulb flange in a different position, thus casting the dipped beam differently. I have been advised that on most cars the glass is not an issue, as it assumed to be the case. If this is the case it would be a cheap and quick job to just swap over the bulb holders, leaving the light units in place.

Any opinions would be very welcome. Thank you, Gerard Saunders

If yours has the clear glass then you will find that the beam pattern is determined by the reflector rather than the bulb. I am holding a H1 bulb in my hand at this very moment and can tell you that there is no shield inside to make the light go in a different direction. The filament will be in the same position however you rotate the bulb.