Registering 7.5 tonne horsebox

Richardbk

Hi everybody,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I did a search but the posts were a few years old.

Has anybody here recently imported and registered a UK 7.5 ton horsebox with living(kitchen, beds etc) into France . I have looked around on the DRIRE site and the paperwork seems to be horrendous. First there seems to be the lorry part and then a whole bunch of regulation concerning the living part. I have seen posts in other forum where air and gas tanks and various other bits had to be changed/modified. Does it help if the horsebox is professionally converted - e.g. Oakley or similar, in which case do the UK coach builders assist in providing the info required. Does it matter that the living door is on the "wrong side" ?

thanks for any help or info

Richard
77 Seine-et-Marne

Can't really help you I'm afraid, although I will say that I don't think door being on the 'wrong side' will be a problem, or shall we say will probably be the least of them!

Unfortunately I fancy your overview will prove to be not be too far off the money so I wish you bon chance and have tagged the thread to follow developments [Www]

Hope I'm wrong but I don't think I would be making any concrete plans to use this vehicle much before 2010 if I were you [blink]

Obtaining single vehicle type approval for a horsebox with living accommodation is fairly straightforward. As you will have seen from the DRIRE documentation, the principal areas requiring approval are:

- the base vehicle, as evidenced by an attestation de conformité and notice descriptive issued by the manufacturer;

- the horsebox conversion, as evidenced either by a converter attestation or your own calculation, confirming that the base vehicle's homologated weight limits have not been exceeded, or if they have been, then written approval from the base vehicle manufacturer is required;

- the living accommodation in terms of safety compliance, eg seat mountings and seat belts, emergency exits, gas installation, flues, cupboard latches etc.

If you work your way through the DRIRE application and guidance notes, you will see everything that is required.  If you are considering buying a professionally converted horsebox and the converter has previously exported his vehicles for commercial sale in France (eg Oakley) then he should be able to provide the necessary formal attestation covering the bulk of the conversion, leaving you to organise an independent inspection of the gas system.  If not, then he should at least be able to provide you with sufficient technical information for you to complete the dossier yourself.

As always, it's useful to visit your DRIRE office and discuss your intentions with them beforehand.  They are usually very helpful and will offer advice where necessary.

Finally, the restriction concerning the position of the living area access door was dropped in March last year....[;-)]

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the [url=http://www.drire.gouv.fr/national/demarches/dem_vehicules/Fiches%20RTI%20a%20jour/RTI03.5.1_18032008_autocaravane.pdf]DRIRE Guidance Note[/url] concerning the fitting out of a vehicle as a caravane/camping car.

The specifications for doors and emergency exits is in section 2 page 7.  The pre-March 2008 version mentioned the prohibition on UK type side doors - the latest one doesn't....[;-)]