Adjusting Berlingo Headlamps

Andy

I've had a problem with the CT - it failed on Headlamp Alignmnet - I've been using the clip on Headlamp shields with blacked out area.

I've read on a UK Technical forum that there are 2 adjustment screws on the back of the headlamp for both vertical and horizontal adjustment but the thread was not detailed enough to suggest that these could be used to adjust to driving on the right.

Has anyone adjusted a Berlingo's headlamps sufficiently to pass a CT?

Thanks

Andy

C,mon, for goodness sake NO adjustment of existing lights on that vehicle will give you a correct beam pattern.

Do it properly and get yourself a pair of Valeo (left-hand) units, or, as others have said go to the local breakers yard.

The two screws are for adjusting the aim of the lamp, and will not affect the beam pattern in the slightest.

If the lamps take H4 fitment bulbs (which I doubt, they are becoming less and less popular) then if you are willing to spend the time adjusting the bulb mountings, it is possible to make them fit in a way that gives a beam similar to the correct LHD pattern - it is similar enough to scrape a pass for a CT, but it is not the right solution and the lamps are likely to be significantly dimmer in use.

As I said in the other thread, you will easily find a pair of LHD lamps in a breakers yard and it should cost well under 100euros for the pair.

OK Thanks. A dumb question perhaps bought on by the initial shock of the cost of replacing the headlamps.

I will indeed try to source some cheaper lamps and fit myself. I hope that there are no special tools involved.

thanks

Andy

I disagree wholeheartedly with you Bugbear.

I have converted many cars with H4 headlights over the years using the method that Dave alludes to with perfect results on the CT machine and IMO no loss of brightness, many forum members have PM'd for details and then sent PM's of thanks once they have modified their phares and passed the CT. The CT center have also referred a couple of people to me.

It has been suggested many times that I should write a sticky for the motoring section but when iI have in the past posted the details of how to do it I got flamed in a very aggressive fashion, probably by people who have just wasted several hundred euros buying lights that are identical but for the bulb orientation and the guide lines for masking, I note that you have just bought a new vehicle, could your posting have been influenced by this?

If the OP wants to PM me with their E-mail address I will forward the details if they dont want to buy new units or go to the breakers yard.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I disagree wholeheartedly with you Bugbear.

[/quote]

That's no problem chancer, well are all entitled to an opinion. In this case, however, you are wrong.

you may be able to 'bodge' some beam pattern that will get through a CT (if the're not paying attention) but you will not (on cars with conventional headlights) change the pattern by twiddling the screws or bulb. Swap the reflectors, or the glass on moulded pattern type, yes, but if you're doing that, you might just as well fit replacement units.

Sorry Gary, I must have imagined it.

I was sure that I read that you had spent £1000 on having a towbar fitted to your newly acquired VW Touran.

If I didnt imagine it what do you think of the Touran? And does it have H4 headlights?

I have been waiting for my chauffeur friend to buy his next new vehicle so he can pass on the Touran to me like my present car but he has now overtaken the old one mileage wise and had exceeded 300K miles last time I asked, probably about 340K now.

Editted. I found your posting and indeed my imagibnation had come into play, it was €900 and you didnt say that it was recently acquired.

I would still like to hear your opinion on it though, you can PM if you want.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Sorry Gary, I must have imagined it.

I was sure that I read that you had spent £1000 on having a towbar fitted to your newly acquired VW Touran.

If I didnt imagine it what do you think of the Touran? And does it have H4 headlights?

I have been waiting for my chauffeur friend to buy his next new vehicle so he can pass on the Touran to me like my present car but he has now overtaken the old one mileage wise and had exceeded 300K miles last time I asked, probably about 340K now.

Editted. I found your posting and indeed my imagibnation had come into play, it was €900 and you didnt say that it was recently acquired.

I would still like to hear your opinion on it though, you can PM if you want.

[/quote]

We've had the Touran for about 15 months but only had the towbar fitted recently. Its a 1.9 TDi with all the toys and the DSG  automatic/manual 6 speed gearbox. It regularly returns over 900 kilometers from 60 litres of diesel, its very comfortable and I love it. Given the sort of exotica I've had in the past ours kids think I've 'gone boring' [:)]

We tow an Eriba 430 Triton caravan with it quite effortlessly.

The headlights are projectors and the lamps are H7,s.

Thanks Bugbear [:D]

You clearly enjoy driving it as much as my friend does as it is easily capable of doing 1200 kms on 60 litres but the DSG box is such a joy that you tend to drive it harder.

My mate visited me with his Touran and said that he wasnt getting the same economy as he did with the 1.9tdi Skoda that he sold me, no surprise as it has a bigger frontal area but we did a test as we had booked on the same Speedferries crossing, we reset our fuel computers and drove in convoy at exactly the same speed/aceleration etc, the Touran used less diesel! We were driving relatively economically.

[quote user="Chancer"]as it is easily capable of doing 1200 kms on 60 litres

[/quote]

I can honestly say (in case my girls get to read this) that I've never achieved that [:D][:D]

The only downside with the DGS box is the special oil which requires a change every 50,000 kilometers @ a whopping 190 euros. [:-))]

Wise insurance though as a new box is several grand.

My friends had severe shift problems at just over 200K miles and he was preparing for the worst but it turned out to be a side effect of the bi-mass flywheel needing changing and the box is still sweet at 300K + miles.

Ricardo who designed the DSG and that for the Bugatti Veyron reckon the box including the clutches has a service life of over 50K miles.

P.S I get 880 kms between fill ups on a 47 litre tank with the same engine in its previous incarnation.