Question about my new Alis TAG

Jacqui      Too

I have just received my new Alis TAG, I ticked the box for Class 2 as we usually drive a 4x4 with possible top box or a Transit van. My question is if I am driving a class 1 car (hire car tomorrow) will I be charged as if I am in my class 2 vehicle? I will be able to go through the 2m and under barrier but wondered if I get charged the higher rate whether to use it at all with is smaller car.

Thanks for any advice

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]I have just received my new Alis TAG, I ticked the box for Class 2 as we usually drive a 4x4 with possible top box or a Transit van. My question is if I am driving a class 1 car (hire car tomorrow) will I be charged as if I am in my class 2 vehicle? I will be able to go through the 2m and under barrier but wondered if I get charged the higher rate whether to use it at all with is smaller car.[/quote]

If the 4x4 vehicle that you normally drive is less than 2m high before you put the roofrack and box on, then it is a Class 1 (even AFTER you put the roofrack and roof box on). You may wish to think about getting a Class 1 tag as well if this is the case.

If you have a class 1 tag and you are using a class 2 vehicle - ie it is more than 2m high BEFORE you put the roof rack and box on (or you are towing a caravan that is more than 2m high) - then when you enter the autoroute peage section you should drive up to a ticket machine and take a ticket, which you should then present along with the tag to a manned barrier on exit.

If you have a Class 2 tag and are driving a class 1 vehicle, you must get a ticket on entry and go to a manned barrier on exit - otherwise you will be charged class 2 charges (IIRC)

Incidentally, a Transit with the lowest roof height is a class 1.

Regards

Pickles

Thanks for that Pickles.

Our Shogun is 1885mm (without top box) and the transit is 1989-2083mm so I thought I would play safe and get the class 2, but then when I use hire cars they are class 1. I will de definitely do as you say when in a lower car, or I might just get another class 1 tag.

Thank you

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]Our Shogun is 1885mm (without top box) and the transit is 1989-2083mm so I thought I would play safe and get the class 2, but then when I use hire cars they are class 1. I will de definitely do as you say when in a lower car, or I might just get another class 1 tag.[/quote]

In that case, I would suggest that you get a Class 1 tag, use it all the time and make sure that you have a bit of weight in the Transit to keep the roof down at the back!

(or just use CB lanes that are also marked with a "t" all the time).

The Shogun is definitely a Class 1, and the Transit really is still only Class 1.

Whatever you do, don't leave the unused one in the car without putting it in its silvered bag - otherwise you COULD end up being charged for two vehicles!

Regards

Pickles