Land prices

Paris

We have a little village cottage in the Creuse, in a co-ownership with French neighbours.  We all have some land on an adjacent site - our immedient neighbours have 2 strips as they have 2 cottages, the rest of us have one strip each (a total of 4 strips and a corner piece!).  Neighbour with 2 strips can no longer find anyone to cultivate his plot (he is no gardener), so has given his plots to youngest son who lives in Paris.

Youngest son has now written to all the other co-owners, as he would like to buy our plots of land at 3 euros per square metre.  Our plot is 250 square metres and he would like to buy it for 750 euros.  In 13 years we have yet to do anything with our plot, which has some little trees scattered along it, as we only spend a few weeks a years at the cottage.  But, we, and our son, wonder, is this a fair price to be offered?  As one co-owner is M. le Maire, I think I will ask son to see if he can have a word with him (if he can find him) on his visit at the beginning of October...(M. le Maire does not actually live in cottage he owns, but lets it out)

Has anyone else had recent experience of buying/selling land in central France?

Best wishes

Julia

I am sure that €3 per m2 is a very fair price - but probably not for you !!

Met a Scot on Friday (not known as a nation who give much away) who had paid €18 per m2 for a 3000 m2 building plot. Don't know where he bought but as we met in Bretenoux (north Lot, v close to Correze border) I would guess that it is not far away.

Just remember the old adage, an article is (only) worth what someone will give you for it.

John

not

Hi

this highlights the difference in land prices.

First difference is for building land : varies between Euro50/m2 and Euro 400/m2 here in Languedoc. I'm sure it is much more valuable in Paris. In other parts of france it is Euro 5. The difference is desirability.

Agricultural land , and leisure land without planning permission should be super cheap (unless we are talking vines in the Medoc).

An example here :

Leisure land (including lake) : 

Secteur : BLOIS - Vallée de la Loire | Commune : Fougères-sur-Bièvre
Bord de la Bièvre, terrain de loisirs de 6800m2, pce d'eau.

24 500,00 € i.e. Euro 3.6/m2 and this on the high side.

Building Land :

Secteur : BLOIS - Vallée de la Loire | Commune : Cour-Cheverny
Dans lotissement du CLOS DE TALCY, parcelles viabilisées de 761m2 (60.933 euros), 774m2 (61.951 euros) et 898m2 (71.657 euros). i.e. Euro 80/m2 and this would be more expensive closer to Blois (and these days closer to the TGV station in Vendome).
nous consulter  
Mes AUGER, BRUNEL et HALLIER

I've chosen Loire & Cher because I know the area. It is (just) commutable to Paris by TGV, and has an active market in land for sale.

Worth checking out the national notaire property website to get an idea of the asking prices : http://www.immonot.com/ and there is an interesting article here : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/articles/languedoc-articles43.htm

Peter

Thank you for your interesting responses.  I will check the website mentioned.  Of course what we would really like to know is what the 'lad' wants to do with the land.  Also, what will be the response of the other 2 owners, one of whom has just purchased here and would not sign a devis when we had the whole roof replaced/renovated earlier in the year (so the section above his house was left unrepaired!).  That new owner is a local notaire, and has bought for investment as far as I can deduce!            Of course, we do not need to sell our plot - they asked if we would sell - we will consider the proposal and perhaps get son to investigate further next month.

Best wishes to everyone,  Julia