Driving Licence change of categories

Brian Unsworth

Our UK driving licences are soon to expire, and we are about to change to French permis. The various threads in this section have proved most helpful and I am about to set about the task full of confidence! However, although my licence is the "new" plastic form, and updated with motorcycle entitlement, whereon cars are category B, my wife's original paper only licence still has motor cars as category A.

I am sure we are not alone in this situation and I ask if anyone has met this - and more importantly - what needs to be done???

Regards to all.

Brian Unsworth

Some basic info on groups:

If you hold a paper only driving licence showing UK / GB groups and not EU categories:

Car - old Group A = new Category B

Car with a trailer - covered by old Group A = new Category B+E

If you passed your car driving test before 1st January 1997 you should have B+E, C1 & D1 entitlements.

As you are changing because of reaching age 70 I believe that you will need medicals to retain towing rights.

Thoretically the prefecture should know what to do with paper licences but there again.........!

The good news is that in Cahors it's free and quick, OH got hers within a week and the hardest part was convincing them that she wanted to change her UK photo licence which was still valid for another 2 years, but then I didn't really understand why she wanted to change it either [blink]

No real nonsense with other spurious documentation either, translated copy of great great grandfathers birth cert etc. Went armed with everything prepared for battle but once the the initial argument about not needing to change was over she was only asked for the form, her UK licence, and proof of address (EDF bill). We might have caught them on a good day so still take everything though hey !

TIP: Photocopy your licences before handing them in, it's not unknown for them to make mistakes with the groups [;-)]

An update  for readers following this thread.

Confident with the knowledge from other threads, and encouraged by AnOther's words, I visited the Prefecture in Cahors yesterday.

I was asked only for the forms, two photos à la LeClerc, photocopies of our passports and the UK licences. No utility bill, no marriage lines, that was all. I had duly photocopied the licences as per instructions, but was also asked for these copies as well. Ooops. Let's hope there are no slip-ups - or indeed requests if stopped by the gendarmes because all I can offer is the receipt from the Prefecture for our dossiers! I addressed an envelope to myself, apologised for not having a stamp but the kind lady seemed unfazed, and she said the French permis should arrive within 10 days. She also seemed to consider the change from the old UK category A to the EU category B would be no problem.

I was back to the car before the half-hour free parking had expired.

Are things going too smoothly, I ask myself. Watch this space:

Regards to all et bon courage

Brian

Easy peasy!

Our permis arrived through the post today, Saturday, only four days after my 30 minute visit to the prefecture. All correct, the envisaged problem of changing my wife's UK category A to EU category B being no problem at all. My HGV entitlements which in any case expired in 2006 have obviously not been renewed, but I am assured from other threads that I am still entitled to tow a caravan - within certain limits - despite the pretty picture on the licence itself. Since I have neither a caravan nor a car capable of towing one this is purely hypothetical. I do have tickets for the Loto tonight so perhaps it may not stay that way!!

Thanks to contributors whose input proved helpful.

Regards to all, et bonne route.

Brian