Completion dates

Rob G

We're in the process of buying in Normandy (76). We signed the compromis at the beginning of August - it included a date of 30th November which we were told was the latest date by which the "acte finale" would have to be signed. We now want/need to fix a date so that we can get the removal firm booked, I can arrange to finish work in the UK etc.

Does anyone have anytips on how best to go about this? Does it depend mainly on the vendors, or the notaire, or what? If we negotiate through the agent immobilier and settle on a date, whose responsibility is it to check with the notaire that the proposed date is OK? And do we get anything in writing confirming the completion date?

Thanks,

Rob

[quote]We're in the process of buying in Normandy (76). We signed the compromis at the beginning of August - it included a date of 30th November which we were told was the latest date by which the "acte fina...[/quote]

It is normal for the Notaire to fix the final date (under normal circumstances it will be more-or-less when stated), as only he knows when he has finished his paperwork/written the Acte Authentique. However, they may only give you a couple of weeks notice.

Give him a call to prod him (or her!) or ask your Agent to do it.

Thanks Nick. I've already prodded the Agent and am going to give him a call tomorrow to chase him up again.

I'm hoping we can get a bit more than two weeks' notice - that's not very much when you're moving overseas!

Rob

The date given, 30th November, sounds reasonable as this is three months, given that nothing will have happened in August. Unless the Notaire uncovers anything untoward or SAFER raise any objection to the sale then it is likely that you should be able to agree on a date within a few days of that date. I would start by speaking to the vendors or asking the agent to speak to them and try to agree something between you first. It will help everything go much more smoothly if you can work in agreement with them. Once you have agreed on a date between you, inform the Notaire that this is your preferred date and ask him to make appointments for you to go into his office and sign the Acte de Vente.

Don't forget that you will need to arrange the transfer of money a day or so before so that the notaire has it in his account.