buying derelict property.

Hi everyone, Iam completely new to forums,also computers,cannot speak a word of French,but would like to buy a piece of land with a derelict building on it,can anyone tell if its the same as England,in as much as if its not habitable one does not have to pay rates? Any advice would be much appreciated,I am thinking of anywhere in northern France, here goes many thanks david.

Admin note - this topic has been moved from 'useful links' to a more appropriate part of the forum.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have just read your letter a couple of months after it was posted, my experience after buying a derelict property is :- the notaire informed me that if you are not living in it on the 1st of january then you are exempt from the habitation tax for that year

terry

You do not pay TdeH on an uninhabitable property in France and this means uninhabitable not just empty. However, you will pay Foncières which is the commune charge. I would also warn you to be very careful buying derelict property in the countryside as the laws on developing country properties into larger properties and installing drainage have changed and you may find it is not allowed. Get your notaire to do a very thorough search and you yourself visit the local mairie and ask if there are any restrictions and very importantly, any rights of way across your intended property that you may not be aware of until the local chasse use it every season to hunt on or pass through. Don't forget that buying a derelict property to do up is only approx 18% of the true overall costs of the renovation project and with TVA possibly reverting back to 19,6%,you should take that factor into consideration also.

"Don't forget that buying a derelict property to do up is only approx 18% of the true overall costs of the renovation project "

With all due respect Val how can you make such a statement. Surely the cost of renovation varies enourmously as does purchase prices, as does peoples ideas about renovations etc etc. Such a pat answer may give an inexperienced owner the wrong idea......

For example how about the Chateau that was recently sold for 20,000 euro. Totally derelict due to a fire. Cost of renovations over 2 million euro. According to your formula it would only cost roughly 100k to restore - oh and dont forget the changes to TVA which might add extra!