canadian in need of help/direction

Hi all.  This may not be the right place to post -- I see that most info is for Brits, but maybe you can help me or direct me to another forum.  My husband and I are Canadian and are planning/dreaming of moving to France for retirement.  I lived for a short time in the Tarn, and so, of course, am drawn there, as a place to retire to.   We are looking really looking anywhere in the Tarn area, or perhaps the Tarn et Garonne, or even the Languadoc.  All the questions asked and answered here are naturally my  questions too, but of course, given we're Canadian, the tax and legal issues etc will be different. My husband has never been to France, and he is keen for the adventure, and we are planning for a trip next summer (Aug) to  come for a couple of weeks (3) for him to experience it for himself.  Do any of you you know of any forums for Canadians?  We would like to buy something that requires no renos with a pool -- not too worried about an existing English-speaking  community.  Not sure about the requirements for Canadians and getting a carte de sejour -- haven't yet gone so far as to contact the French consulate in Canada, given we are at least 4 years away from the actual move.  However, would be interested in any info about amount of income required and opinions on whether to buy now and rent out, versus waiting, given the obviously rising prices in France.   How hard is it to be a long distance landlord?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a gite in the Tarn area, we'd be grateful for some input.  I've checked the websites etc and it's so hard to tell??!!  It would be for 3 of us for 2-3 weeks- next August (our youngest daughter is coming with us), and I've promised her a pool (she's 14 and not happy about the thought of our retiring so far away, and right now has no interest in France-- which I know will  change once she's been there).  We'll really want to combine enjoying a vacation and looking around the area for the future. 

Any help would be so appreciated.  Husband has joined up for French lessons, and I am doing my best to brush up -- so while I am saying this is four years away -- we are keen and wanting to put some action into place.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Deb

Hi Deb

With some years to do your planning I think you will find this forum and many like it really helpful.  Rather than asking direct questions now, many of which have been asked many times before, just spend time trawling through all the information that has been put together on this site and others like it and make copious notes!  Then add to that magazines and books about moving to France and you will definately see a picture emerging which will answer many of your questions including some you didn't know needed asking.  When you've an idea where you want to go next year, put a request directly on the gites/chambres d'hote site if I were you - at least you'll be sure to get some-one who uses this site and will be helpful!

Best of luck

Fran

thanks for the advice Fran. I have been surfing quite a bit and your right there is a wealth of info here. I'll try narrowing down to a couple of gite sites in Tarn and then post for any input on them for our holiday next Aug.

Would still be interested if anyone knows a site that might have some of the specific legal issues/requirements as they relate to non- EC's

Hi Deb,

I just joined this forum and am also Cdn.   I have not lived in France for an extended time, although we visited back in 2000 and toured around Paris, Normandy, Pays de Loire and then returned in 2004 and rented an apartment in Paris for 3 weeks.  We are also looking to retire to France, however, also have a 14 year old, so will wait until she's finished high school.

Initially, I thought of retiring permanently, however, I am leaning towards part time Canada, part time France.  Most of our friends will be considered snowbirds (i.e. spend the winters in Florida, summers here) and think we are crazy to want to travel overseas.  But, that is because they have not been to the "homeland" (as we refer to it!).

I too have been surfing for "Cdn" related sites and haven't been too successful.  In particular, if we want to invest/buy a property now, but want to finance it, not sure if there are any banks here that specialize in that?  Or are there banks in France that will offer mortgages to foreigners?

Anyhow, if I find anything relevant, I'll post it!

Patricia

Hi Patricia. It sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as we are. Our friends also think we are crazy to think about France as a place to retire -- especially as we live in an area that many Canadians consider to be retirement mecca. We've heard from some (and from research on the web) that prices in France are going up steeply, and so have also wondered about buying now and letting out etc, even though we don't want to move there for at least 4 years. But we were wondering how well it would work to try to do this from such a distance.

Have also wondered whether it would be better to do part time residence-- mainly as a means of keeping our Cdn health insurance, as i can't quite see from the info I've found so far how/whether we would qualify for health insurance in France if we're not working.

Are you thinking of retiring to Paris or in the country?

Hi Patricia. It sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as we are. Our friends also think we are crazy to think about France as a place to retire -- especially as we live in an area that many Canadians consider to be retirement mecca. We've heard from some (and from research on the web) that prices in France are going up steeply, and so have also wondered about buying now and letting out etc, even though we don't want to move there for at least 4 years. But we were wondering how well it would work to try to do this from such a distance.

Have also wondered whether it would be better to do part time residence-- mainly as a means of keeping our Cdn health insurance, as i can't quite see from the info I've found so far how/whether we would qualify for health insurance in France if we're not working.

Are you thinking of retiring to Paris or in the country?

I have been looking at leaseback investments in & around Paris as well as property in the country.  I absolutely love Normandy and would love a place there.  It is a romantic notion of a cottage near a small village, however, I'm trying to think what life will be like when I'm 60..will I really feel like riding my bike into town to buy a baguette everyday?  On the other hand, I do love Paris.  I am leaning towards finding something within commuting distance (i.e. 2-4 hour train ride).  

I don't know how easy it would be to rent a place out in your absence in the country.  Have you looked at any of the leaseback options?  The return is not as high, however, you are guaranteed rental income and a few weeks personal time.  And the income looks like it covers the financing costs of the properties in some cases. 

Agreed about the Health Insurance..I know with the seniors here who go to Florida, that they have to maintain residency here for 180 days to be eligible. 

Where abouts are you in BC?  We lived in the lower mainland (New Westminster/Port Coquitlam) for a few years, however, returned here to Southern Ontario (near Toronto).

Patricia

No, we haven't looked at leaseback -- any suggestions on sites with that info?

We live near Victoria, on Vancouver Island. We love where we are, but also have the romantic notion of spending our retirement years with the biggest decision being which region's olive oil to buy!! And of course, the wine, the wine.....

We know it won't be a bed of roses -- but nowhere is!

How's your french? We have found a site that emails you a french word every day and gives you all the idioms that use the word, and even a sound file to listen to how it's pronounced. It's a great way to build up vocabulary and oil that rusty french. If you're interested its www.french-word-a-day.typepad.com

On part time residence, we're hoping that we will find a way to get health insurance in France at a reasonable cost, and only want to consider part time as a last resort. So, if you see any info on this please post it.

Deb

hi deb

i am also canadian/british and i am longing to move back to BC,also lived in victoria and kelowna.......did not appreciate it until i left it,its not all its cracked up to be here,most things are a nightmare!!! canada is a wonderful country think long and hard ,i wish i had, now not sure if have enough money to go back!

good luck with you choices but just my opinion canada is a far better and more free country than france.

hi deb.

just very dissolusioned.i am not retirement agebut do have an injury pension from the police force,however i do need to top this up to survive. it is impossible to earn money here and stay afloat.it costs a fortune to set up as self employed and finacially not practical for a part-time income.like many others i wanted a small cattery but there are so many obstacles that it has proved impossible so my dream has shattered!! 

for a person that wants to go out and do something with thier life, france has a closed door in every direction!!

the healthcare costs a fortune and i think you would have to buy private which may be  even more exspensive.

france is the place to come to retire if you have pots of money and can tolerate all the paperwork and red tape that france loves.  

however this is just my personal opinion andi do not want to put you off or offend anyone on this forum who thinks its wonderful.think long and hard deb as canada is wonderful!! 

i have been here a year and i suppose it might get better!!

One of the major attractions of France for the British, is the fact that France is less crowded than the UK and there are more wide open spaces.

In Canada you are far less populated than France and have even more wide open spaces. Why on earth would you want to leave. Apart from the Winter cold in the Central and Eastern provinces!

Unless you or your spouse have or are entitled to an EU national passport, moving to France is far more problematical.

Canada maintains strict immigration controls on foreign nationals, including the French, who wish to move to Canada. Therefore, not surprisingly France adopts similar controls on non EU nationals, including Canadians, who wish to live there.

I think I am correct in saying there is no French retiree visa programme and getting permanent residence in France is difficult for non EU nationals. Unless you can find a job no French person is able to do, are a wealthy investor/entrepreneur, or marry a French person.

Therefore, this is an area you need to get legal advice on from a qualified French immigration lawyer.

As someone previously mentioned it would be a lot easier just to come to France for up to six months a year, as a visitor. As I do not believe there are any restrictions on Canadians maintaining vacation homes in France.

Thanks for your comments on the "permanent" residency for foreigners...I have read alot of horror stories about trying to settle permanently and that is another reason why I think I would be happy shuffling back and forth.

I can't speak for Deb, but certainly for myself, I love living in Canada and am proud to be a Cdn.  However, arriving in France for the first time, I knew that this was truly my "home".  I have travelled a fair bit to places that are beautiful/fun/exciting, but I have never felt like that before.  It is as if I had been born in the wrong country, at the wrong GPS points as it were!  It's hard to explain and might even sound a bit crazy

Deb..I can email you the links to those investment sites if you like (I'm not sure if we are OK to post here?).  Also, if you could send me the link to the "French word of the day" site, that would be great!  My oral French is passable (I REALLY need to work on my accent) and I find I'm OK once I've been immersed for a few days...then you actually start to think in French as opposed to translating first and then saying wat you need to.  My reading/writing is good, although I really need to brush up on that whole verb conjugation thing!   Hubby has been using Michel Thomas' language CD series.  He finds they are wonderful...he has had no French training at all, but he can get by now.  Personally, I find Michel Thomas gets on my nerves, but to each his own!

Patricia

I'm with you Patricia. I love Canada -- especially BC, and proud to be Canadian, but I've never forgotten my year living in France. I know and am prepared for the frustrations -- I'm not sure my husband who's never been there truly fathoms the realites of this, though. It's not the space that draws me, its the way of life that is so different from here. I love the language, the centuries old buildings, the food, the wine, the way you shop for food -- everything. I just can't think of a better way to enjoy my retirement years. If we can only do it by part time residence, I guess that would still be what we'd want to do.

We go to Mexico on vacation at least every 2 years, and thought for a little while that that might be a place to consider. But really, when I thought about it, I knew I didn't have the affinity for the culture in the same way I do for France -- no desire to get out and explore and learn and understand the country -- just like the sun and the beach. So its wonderful for a 2 wk vacation for us, but wouldn't work as a retirement spot.

Let me know how you like French word a day, Patricia.

Thanks Catgirl and Sprogster for your comments. I know we have some hurdles being non EU. We've got at least 4 years to consider the decision. Are you planning on moving back to Canada, Catgirl?

i would love to move back but not sure if there is enough money in the pot!! renting is not an option as i have 11 rescued cats(3 canadian) so need to buy and getting a mortgage on an injury pension is not that easy in canada.also i have arthritis so not sure which province would be the best these days.but i miss canada andthe way of life desperatley so maybe i will be able to one day.........if not in my dreams and just remember i was there for a while!

p.s i have been looking at chilliwack........but i think its damp!

if you want to pm me do so by all means.

good luck with your dreams ,its great to have dreams its what keeps us going.