Please help.......insurance quandry

opas

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="opas"]

I would have thought that in the days of free and easy accross boarder travel that the transport police....yes you read that right  , would know how to deal with a foreign looking document. It was not a beat bobby on the street that made this blunder it was the tranxport police.

[/quote]

Heavens above[+o(]

No wonder he was arrested,driving along a railway line.[8-)]

Or do you mean the traffic department

Don't be a smart #### BaF.  I doubt that OPAS realises that the Transport Police are a separate police force dealing mainly with the railways and never with road taffic on the public highway.

Anyway I hope Outie takes 'em to the cleaners.

Hey listen nit pickers and jokers , after the weekend I have had you are lucky I didn`t type transvestite police...no insult intended to anyone!

Yep traffic cops!

I am pleased to say that after getting the first bus to the city of Mcr this morning and being given a bit of a runnaround he has got our car back....the bills I sent for repairs to the car swung it that the car had only been in UK for a short time.

Please can I just ask anyone who is taking a trip over to UK in their car ( or anywhere for that matter) please make sure that if you do take a diferent car to the one named on your travel documment, pay the extra fee to have it ammended.....it could save you a lot of time and trouble.....

[quote user="ErnieY"][

I sometimes wonder if you should be allowed out on your own JR [:-))]

You're not Michael Crawford  in mufti by any chance are you [Www]

[:D]

[/quote]

I will have you know that I resemble that comment Ernie! [:-))]

Actually my first accident de travail (sorry Bricolage), I am always safety conscious and was doing what I have done thousands of times before with these ladders (in my first business many times a day) but I guess familiarity breeds contempt.

Nothing as common as falling off a ladder for me, I hadnt even left the ground when the 3rd section of my 30 foot ladder gave an unscheduled but very convincing impression of a guillotine. Luckily it impacted the most dense part (in more ways than one) of my body[:)]

When I get back in the saddle I will post some photos in the health and safety thread of my preferred  method of ascending my home made scaffolding, saddle being the operative word.

No the insurance was the starting point, when the police decided it was not valid and arrested him as he had no UK address, then they start to look at the car and think he has been swanning round the country without tax on foregn insurance, so they then think he should have re reg`d the car.

All he had was a number on a bit of paper....he went to the library in Uk to acess emails and printed off the document, thats when he remembered he had booked with the Astra...Merde!

Hold on a little bitty minute -  I think as a UK resident, on balance if the police stop someone on foriegn plates and they are of 'no fixed abode' and are driving a car  which isn't on their travel documents I may rather they took action rather than believe whatever the person stopped says. Further investigation was appropriate, perhaps not the way they went about it.

We may have cross border working, we have cross border crime too.

To be honest Opas if you pursue this its just going to 'drag you back' and be endlessly depressing, you may well be in the right, but it could take months or years to get the powers that be to admit it, plus it may trigger all sorts of other investigations and while you may be as white as the driven snow, being investigated in itself is unpleasant. Just a thought.

Whilst accepting the proviso that we remote observers on the forum may not have all the facts at our fingertips in this specific case, I have to say that I do disagree, R/H, in general terms, with this, as a policy.  Whilst ignorance of the law is not a defence for the public, then it should not be so for the police either, should it?  Especially if one has to pay a hefty sum to get one's car back when one has done nothing wrong.  But then, as you know, I'm a bolshie so-and-so myself![:D]  I'd have to be certain of all my facts, but I would pursue it myself if I were sure I was in the right.

As I read it the police may have had reason for concern originally, it's after that things went awry.

I'm sorry Coops, but I have seen the same friends twice go through protracted situations where they were innocent, but felt they had been wronged. In the end, on the first occasion, they got nowhere, after months and months of stress and damage to their relationship, events took a turn, and it was all for nothing.

On the second occasion there was  eventually  a pay out, it took about 3 years and again was very stressful for all concerned.

Pursuing something like this can be exhausting and draining, there does come a stage where you think 'Is it worth it'? If the first approach doesn't sort it out, I'd walk a way and 'live well', that's the best revenge [:)][:)]

As with so many things in life, R/H, it is of course a personal decision in the end and you can only weigh up the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

But there have been times in my life when I (and others) have been glad that I have stood up for my rights, no matter how tough the fight was at the time.

Each to their own oppinion as they say, but the simple fact of the matter is that the evidence was a phone call away and they refused to do it. 

Two days in the clink  when it all could have been sorted out with a phonecall and acouple of faxs from this end.

You can all argue this out between yourselves now as I am not going to justify anything more.

If he had crossed via Eurotunnel he would not have been asked for any details about the car other than its general dimensions. As far as I recall BF don't ask for this information either although it's a while since I booked with them. Difficult to prove when the vehicle entered the country without asking Eurotunnel or the ferry company for a copy of the number plate details they appear to record via the low level cameras at check in.

Yes he got his car back, by the route that the police should have taken to check his insurance..... they phoned the MIB on the back of his policy.................He is now home in France.

Once again , thank you to all who supported us.

[quote user="Framboise"]BF always ask us for the Make, Model and Reg of our vehicle, height and length as well as the dimensions of the trailer.[/quote]

Then you must use a different booking system from the rest of us.

It's just type of vehicle, then some length and weight options to choose when you book via the company web site.

Well done Mr & Mrs O.

So now he's home, can you give us an update ?

1) Any joy with compensation ? There are "ambulance chaser" type solicitors in UK who say "no win no fee".

2)Any advice for those of us who may be in the same situation ?

3)Mr O thinking of a book ?

Peter

1) awaiting advice of solicitor

2) make sure you can clarify when your vehicle went to UK,

3) he read Pappillon whilst stuck in the cells.....ironic or what!..........oh , you meant writing a book, what for the Outie haters to take the P out of his spelling and grammar.

Mrs O

Oh dear, it just gets worse doesn`t it! 

Outie was arrested by the Traffic cops and taken to ..............?????? Swinton! they were shapless.

And who thought I was exagerating at the amount of cop cars sent for Mr O??????  from where? Swinton!  look at the size of that lady and how many were despatched to deal with her......its a joke!

perhaps if they wen`t so extravagent on silly things they could have afforded to bive Man U the welcoming parade they deserved last week.