DRIRE

Benjamin

I am in the process of importing a UK registered camping car. It's a 2003 Dethleffs on a 2.8 litre FIAT chassis. I thought I'd done everything correctly bur a visit to the Prefecture resulted in a refusal to register it and an instruction to visit DRIRE.

The lady there wasn't a lot of help as all she could say was they'd open a dossier and I would be contacted shortly. She took a copy of the CoC, the UK log book and the new French CT.

I think the problem has been caused by the following wording on the covering letter from FIAT "Votre véhicule n'étant carrossé d'origine, veuillez ci-joint l'attestation de conformité et la notice complémentaire à transmettre lors de votre passage au Service des Mines."

The CoC also stated against "Genre Nacional:  CTTE ou VASP" which got the guy in the prefecture a bit agitated. He went through the rest of the submission and was happy enough.

Can anyone throw any light on what I may expect from DRIRE such as a bobywork inspection or a referral to Bureau Veritas or something much worse. I do have all the original paperwork from Dethleffs.

Benjamin

Fiat can't attest to the overall conformity of your camper van because they didn't build it - only the base vehicle, which their certificate and notice (the barré rouge) covers.  Your 2003 model camper is probably too old to benefit from EU whole vehicle type approval by Dethleffs themselves so if that's the case, then a DRIRE inspection is required.

First step is to contact Dethleffs France and ask them if your model qualifies for an EU certificate of conformity that you can use to register directly at your prefecture.  If not, then you need to ask them for an attestation de conformité covering the 'cellule' for the DRIRE réception.  Their address is 1b, rue de la Porte de Brisach, 67600 SELESTAT.  Tel:  03.88.82.88.11.

When the Dethleffs certificate arrives, check to see whether it includes Normes EN 1949, EN 721 and EN 1646-1 (prevention des risques incendie, explosion et asphyxie).  If so, then you shouldn't have to have the independently van inspected by Bureau Veritas.  Check with the DRIRE to see if they are happy with the Dethleffs certificate in this respect.

If this is not the case, then you'll need to contact Bureau Veritas and make an appointment for a gas test.  Their local address is ZA le Séjour, 85170 DOMPIERRE SUR YON.  Tel: 02.51.08.86.70

Drop these certificates into your DRIRE and your dossier is complete.  They will send you an invite to bring the van in for inspection - basically a check of the VIN number stamped on the chassis to verify that the vehicle matches the documentation.  They will then issue your proces-verbal de titre isolé which is your new overall single vehicle approval certificate.

Then it's off to the prefecture to register as normal....[:D]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Sounds like an excuse for an overnight + p*ss up to welcome you newbies to the world of camping....[;-)]

[/quote]

Not exactly new to camping as we had a touring caravan for many years and toured all over France, Spain and Portugal. Apart from an early foray with an American Pace Arrow ( 7.3 litre V8 petrol - OUCH!) this is our first time with a European camping car.

Just had a long weekend on an aire at St Hilaire de Riez to try out all the toys and everything works perfectly. Longer term (probably in the Spring) it's a solar panel and an inverter then we'll really be wild campers.

As for a p*ss up what a wonderful idea when we've got it on to French plates as our month is nearly up due to FIAT taking a long time to send out the CoC.

I hope Wooly sees this as we've had a couple of conversations but never actually met.

Perhaps we can start agitating for a Camping Car section in the Passtimes section. I'll get my mate Ron on to it. Oh s*d it, somebody took his ball away and we can't get the benefit of his forcrful style, mores the pity.

SD will know for sure but I seem to recall that you have 4 months to register a vehicle if it requires a titre isolé - our imported Fiat/Hymer did, and we managed to squeak in just under the four months!

Fiat's excuse for the delay was that the person who issued the CoCs was on sick-leave and she was the only one able to do it... However we found everyone else from Bureau Veritas to the DRIRE and the local Co-op who weighed it for us very prompt and helpful.

• 1 month later...
Conclusion.

I looked at the paper work that DRIRE wanted completing and I spoke to Bureau Veritas in Nantes (not every B V location does every type of testing that can be done) and decided it was simpler initially to pursue Dethleffs. It took a bit of doing but eventually Hervé got on my case and a CoC was forthcoming (cost 230 euros).

Shiny new plates fitted by the village garage and all ready to roll.

Thanks for the advice.

And yes Mme Poivre we can get together when you're over.

• 1 year later...
Hi Benjamin,We have a 1994 Dethleffs and are having the same problems as you did.Can you tell me if it was Hervé Friedmann who sent you the coc.Dethleff france have told me that no vehicules of this era have been immatriculated in France.They cant supply any paper work at all and neither can Dethleff Germany !!!!

I would be really grateful if you could contact me concerning this.cheers Antoinette

Hi antoinette

I received your forum email and then promptly lost your email address.  [:'(]

I think the difference here is the year; ours is a 2003.

You might give Dethleffs Germany a call. Have the VIN and anything else you can think of handy. If you don't have German yourself you will find most Germans in commerce have some English.

Otherwise it's the DRIRE route (or whatever they call themselves now). The dossier looks daunting but it's certainly doable, especially if it's the only route.

Unless, of course, Sunday Driver can come up with any other suggestion.

Best of luck.

antoinette

Unlike Benjamin's 2003 model, your camping car is too old to qualify for an EU certificate of conformity so you'll need to put it through a DREAL approval inspection. 

For this, you will need to supply them with the following documents:

- a copy of the V5C registration document;

- an attestation d'identification from the base vehicle manufacturer, eg Fiat France, together with a notice descriptive (commonly known as a 'barré rouge');

- an attestation from Dethleffs covering the conversion (the 'cellule') certifying, amongst other things, that it has not caused the vehicle manufacturer's design weights and dimensions to be exceeded;

- an inspection report from Bureau Veritas certifying that the gas system, flues and emergency exits conform with the French Normes;

- weight tickets ( total vehicle weight and for each axle);

- a controle technique certificate.

You then put them together into a 'dossier', hand it in to your DREAL and ask them for an appointment for an inspection.