Towing Weight Limits

Benjamin

I have a Fiat Ducato based camper car. The stamped plate in the engine compartment (with the VIN) has the following embossed figures:

3400 kgs

5400 kgs

1 -      1750 kgs

2 -      1900 kgs

I think that the first figure is the total weight allowed for the camper car; the second is the "all up" weight including a towed trailer (this is the important bit for me) and the third and fourth figures refer to the maximum weight on each axle.

My UK issued licence covers groups B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E, f,k,l,n,p.

If I tow a trailer with a maximum weight under 2 tonnes am I legal? I presume the European country where I am doesn't matter.

[quote user="Benjamin"]If I tow a trailer with a maximum weight under 2 tonnes am I legal? I presume the European country where I am doesn't matter.[/quote]

You'll be using the B+E category, I think. Yes, you will be legal if the MAM of the trailer is under 2 tonnes. Be aware of the towing speed restriction for combinations of over 3500 kgs MAM on French motorways - you are now restricted to 90 km/h IIRC.

Regards

Pickles

You can double check your authorised weights by referring to the camper's carte grise

F2 is the masse en charge maximale admissible en service (ie, PTAC or gross vehicle weight)

F3 is the masse en charge maximale admissible de l'ensemble en service (ie, PTRA or gross train weight - vehicle plus trailer)

Edit: Now you've moved back to the UK, I should have said check your V5C.......[;-)]

I've mentioned this before but its worth repeating.

In France if the PTAC (gross train weight) stamped on your vehicle exceeds 3500 you are, irrespective of the weight of your trailer, limited to the lower speed limit categories.

Illogical but true.

PTAC is actually the gross vehicle weight.  Gross train weight is PTRA.

Certainly illogical, given that my big powerful E-Class Mercedes (PTRA >3500kg) is limited to 90kph when towing on the autoroute even if it's just a sub-500kg garden trailer, whereas with my tiddly old Peugeot 307 I could tow a trailer weighing up to 1,300kg at 130kph....[blink]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]whereas with my tiddly old Peugeot 307 I could tow a trailer weighing up to 1,300kg at 130kph....[blink] [/quote]

I must keep away from the wine: I read that as towing a 130kg trailer at 1,300 kph ...

Regards

Pickles