I'm moving to France....

clairus

The only time I've been asked for ID when shopping is at our local Intermarche where we've shopped for the past 8 years!  This happened last year when claiming the accumulated loyalty card payment. The (new) checkout woman asked for an ID card, which I haven't got, neither do I normally carry my passport, but I did have my French driving licence and that was perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't have thought it acceptable for flying though; the types of identity card are normally specified by the airline; French ID cards are OK, but not driving licences I think.

Sid

you are right regarding airline identification if you are refering to airlines such as RA, Easyjet etc.  The identity check there is mainly to establish that the person in whose name the cheap ticket has been bought, is the person flying - to stop bucket companies buying up all the cheap tickets and selling them on.

My flights were with flag carriers - Lufthansa, Air France, Brussels etc.  and there the identity check is for security purposes only

[quote user="AnOther"]I bow to your experience Andy although I was really referring to validity for shopping which is probably more relevant to most rather than air travel.

I also remain skeptical that the average supermarket in France would accept a UK driving licence bearing it's UK address as a valid form of ID when paying by French cheque or credit card. That said I can't actually recall in my 5 years here ever once having had to show any ID when out  shopping

[/quote]

When a supermarket asks for ID, all they want is proof that you are who you say you are.  A French driving licence is a valid form of ID and a UK photocard driving licence serves the same purpose. The address shown on a driving licence has nothing to do with identity (it doesn't even have to be up to date) therefore it's of no interest to the supermarket....[;-)]

Yes, ID theft happens in France too and yet, I have seen in french shops that need ID for say a mobile phone take copies of my ID and then throw it in the bin, just the bin, when they had input all the details. So I have retrieved them and taken them home. Leaving staff wondering what I am making a fuss about!