Driving with van rear door(s) open?

sid

I have a small van (Citroen Nemo) which takes loads up to 2.5m in length if I lower the passenger seat and swivel the load-space protection grille. I have heard, but can't find any definite evidence, that it is illegal to drive with one or both of the rear doors open, as in the case of carrying longer loads (3m worktops, to be specific).

I've seen builders with stuff sticking out of the rear doors, and in my case, with asymmetric doors, the one with the numberplate would be closed as normal.

I know about the dangers of exhaust fumes, but does anyone here know what the legal situation is, please?

If you are worried about this the best thing to do is cut the item in two so it all goes into the vehicle with both doors closed. As you have seen builders with stuff sticking out of rear doors do as they do, plus tie a bit of rag at the end of the item, might also stop the car behind being up your backside.

Someone is bound to say its a no-no.

I can't cut the worktops because I need to fit them in situ in the kitchen.

I'm prepared to take the risk anyway, or I could just hire a bigger van for a few hours. That wasn't the point of the question though; I just want to know the legal position.

You can have a long load on a roof rack where the load extends to the front of the vehicle and to a certain distance behind (I forget the actual distance) and over 50cms (I think) it has to be marked with something distinctive (usually a bit of rag!).

The question with a van I think relates to number plates... maybe?

It would be just my luck to get stopped at a "contrôle" !

Wot!!?? Bunches of bananas hanging out?

No, I know you're right Wooly, I've seen all sorts, but I made a comment about long loads and the doors to the salesman (large Citroen concessionaires) when I bought the vehicle and he wagged his finger and said "Non, ce n'est pas permis!" or words to that effect. (Good job you can't hear my accent!)

If it's a case of the back doors/hatch being open and the number plate not visible then a 'boat board, with the lights and number plate, should cover that and a rag on the overhang would complete the package??? even if you were stopped the damjams would probably too confused to challenge it?

Sid, you should be grateful that your wife doesn't go

"Punting up the river on a rough cut punt

Not a punt cut rough but a rough cut punt'

That could really be disastrous to try to explain mate [:-))]

I've got a boat board thingy somewhere from when I used to carry my bikes, so yes, I can use that and confound the blighters.

I think we'll stick to the seashore! (can't post a smiley here; this could be the first Windows 10 problem!)

[quote user="sid"]Wot!!?? Bunches of bananas hanging out? No, I know you're right Wooly, I've seen all sorts, but I made a comment about long loads and the doors to the salesman (large Citroen concessionaires) when I bought the vehicle and he wagged his finger and said "Non, ce n'est pas permis!" or words to that effect. (Good job you can't hear my accent!)[/quote]

Bloke was just being a typical bombastic know it all.

You can take all your doors off if you want.

Article R312-19 du CR
I. - Toutes précautions utiles doivent être prises pour que le chargement d'un véhicule ne puisse être une cause de dommage ou de danger.

II. - Tout chargement débordant ou pouvant déborder le contour extérieur du véhicule du fait des oscillations du transport doit être solidement amarré. Les pièces de grande longueur doivent être solidement amarrées entre elles et au véhicule, de manière à ne pas déborder dans leurs oscillations le contour latéral extérieur de celui-ci.

III. - Les chaînes, bâches et autres accessoires, mobiles ou flottants, doivent être fixés au véhicule de manière à ne sortir à aucun moment du contour extérieur du chargement et à ne pas traîner sur le sol.

IV. - Le fait, pour tout conducteur, de contrevenir aux dispositions du II ou du III ci-dessus est puni de l'amende prévue pour les contraventions de la troisième classe."

Article R313-21 du CR
"Si la largeur hors tout d'un chargement dépasse de plus de 0,40 mètre le point de la plage éclairante le plus éloigné du plan longitudinal médian du véhicule, le chargement doit être signalé la nuit, ou le jour lorsque la visibilité est insuffisante, par un feu ou un dispositif réfléchissant blanc vers l'avant et par un feu ou un dispositif réfléchissant rouge vers l'arrière, disposés de telle façon que le point de la plage éclairante ou réfléchissante de ces feux ou de ces dispositifs le plus éloigné du plan longitudinal médian du véhicule soit à moins de 0,40 mètre de l'extrémité de la largeur hors tout du chargement.

Le fait, pour tout conducteur, de contrevenir aux dispositions du présent article est puni de l'amende prévue pour les contraventions de la troisième classe."

La nuit, ou le jour lorsque la visibilité est insuffisante, en cas d'absence, de non-conformité ou de défectuosité des feux ou dispositifs exigés par le présent article, l'immobilisation peut être prescrite dans les conditions prévues aux articles L. 325-1 à L. 325-3."